Pots & Neurotransmitters

radiohfan23

I recently took a urine test to assess my neurotransmitter levels and it revealed some abnormalities. Namely my Serotonin was low but my GABA and Dopamine were elevated (these are all of the parasympathetic transmitters). On the other hand my Epinephrine and Norepinephrine were low along with PEA and Glutamate (all of which are sympathetic transmitters).

Outside of the Serotonin being low it sort of runs counterintuitive to what I had presumed the test results would reveal. My best guesses are that either I'm misunderstanding or misinterpreting the results, the results are inaccurate (which can be possible with testing for neurotransmitters) or that this is somehow linked to dysautonia and POTS.

My question is whether anyone else out there has had their neurotransmitters tested and knows anything more?

thanks.

I have extensive blood tests done every six months with the program I am in. My doctor and I knew my Seratonin was low, but it was soooo low. I take 5HTP and SAMe daily they have turned many problems around. I get another test soon. I can't wait to see how everything improved, I am so much better since I take the supplements I need. I take Adrecor for adrenal support and that is good too For the neurotransmitters nor epinephrine and epinephrine.

Do you have a doctor that can tell you what it all means?

Hi Sally,

I am working with my doctor who has been on a neurotransmitter supplement protocol himself and was able to explain all of this. However, he's not as experienced with dysautonomia. I am taking 5-HTP which i really like (helps me sleep well) and was given Adrecor and D,L Phenylalanine also. I've noticed the tachycardia has gotten worse at times and was wondering if the Adrecor was the culpirate. Typically I have a resting HR from 60-70 supine and 90-120 standing (depending on the day). However recently my resting HR supine sometimes hits 100 (stable at 85+/-) and my standing can hit 130 when that happens (but this is only when i'm having my worst days).

Have you noticed any correlation between Adrecor and increasing tachycardia? I'm hoping that i've just been having one of those random worsened episodes and it's not related to the medicine because i have heard good things from others taking Adrecor.

Best wishes and so glad to hear this is working for you!

I have no problems at all with Adrecor and heart rate. It is getting better! I googled your other supplement and saw a bit on it, maybe it is that one. Hard to say, we are all different. Maybe you can let the doctor know. Then you can find out what it might be.