Wheelchairs

DIXZELAND

Just curious how many people are having to use wheelchairs because of their POTS. I sometimes feel I would get around better using a wheelchair. My legs become so weak and heavy not to mention when I stand up my heart rate and pulse start like the beat of a drum.

Bless Everyone!

Dixie

Sorry guys, I tried to work the POLL thingy but I don't know how. :(

Wheelchairs are a great tool just like heart rate monitors. Whatever helps us to feel better, do more and heal is great. Just like supplements, we need to use all that is available. I also have a folding stool to use. I don't always need my w.chairs.

Wheelchairs are there to help you, use them selectivly, even use the ones in stores to help you sustain the activiy of shopping,

I struggled with the idea of using a chair but at the same time i was not going anywhere or able to stay in a shop because of the need to sit down, I gradually got used to the idea, i dont use it constantly just to help in certain situations ... like covering distance and such .. you can even get up and walk a litle, just plan how it would benefit you, will it add some quality to your life !!.... if it make life easier for you then go for it ... :)

tilly

i agree Tilly. My mum has been in a wheelchair from when i was a toddler due to failed spinal surgery so ive grown up with a full time wheelchair user and seen both the positive and negative sides for my mum. Ironically i ended up having to get a wheelchair after a particularly bad flare up at around the same age my mum became wheelchair bound and after having looked after my mum for most of my child/adulthood it caused me huge issues. I refused to use it and feared losing my independance. After spending weeks indoors because i couldnt get out and didnt want to have to use a wheelchair i realised that the thing i feared (loss of independance)had already happened and that actually using a wheelchair gave me some of it back.

I think we should always fight against using wheelchairs if we dont need to but sometimes its a means to an end and if i need mine i think of it as a temporary measure until i have the strength to manage without it.

• 1 month later...

I think the key word is use them "selectively" they can give some independance back, I am currently doing an article on wheelchairs and the perseptions of disability .... I fought against it for a very long time, but then looking at the bigger picture i was never able to go out anywhere, ( missing out on so much )there was a lot of selfconsiousness to overcome, after being a very mobile and independant working person, sadly some people have to use them 24/7, so looking at their plight mine is not so bad !!!. :) .