Any Insights-Low Potassium And Low Sodium

cordellia

happy thanksgiving to all! question: recent blood tests indicate that i have both low potassium and low sodium levels. doctors puzzled. has anyone else had similar results? any insights? this has been ongoing for some time. feel decidedly worse with these low sodium /potassium levels... i use celtic sea salt with abandon and take multivitamins. with thanks and healthful wishes, cordelia

happy thanksgiving to all! question: recent blood tests indicate that i have both low potassium and low sodium levels. doctors puzzled. has anyone else had similar results? any insights? this has been ongoing for some time. feel decidedly worse with these low sodium /potassium levels... i use celtic sea salt with abandon and take multivitamins. with thanks and healthful wishes, cordelia

I had episodes twice when all of my electrolytes dropped. The second time it was really bad and I wound up in the hospital for three days, and it had the docs puzzled.

I just figured it had to do with the POTS since I know that salt levels tend to run low. But since then I take 6 buffered salt tablets. in addition to adding a ton of salt to my food. And that keeps the sodium just about normal.

And I take Magnesium tablets. I haven't had any drops in my Mag. levels if I stop, but I got restless leg syndrome so I started taking them again and it helped that. I guess, according to the post above, that could be helping my Potassium as well.

I used to take potassium tablets when I first had the drop in electrolytes but after that my doctor said just to eat bananas a few times a week. and that seemed to be enough for me to keep it level because it hasn't bee low since then.

Like I said I just thought it had to do with the POTS. The doctors seemed satisfied with the fact that my levels returned to normal and as long as they were they weren't looking into it further.

Maybe you can add salt tablets and potassium tablets.

I know you have to be careful with the potassium because if you overdo it it can cause an overdose that'll give you similar symptoms to being very low..so you dont want that.

But if it's low it's obvious you need something. I guess it's something that you have to talk to your doc about and make sure he checks you levels often if you start a potassium supplement. Or Maybe try eating bananas like me and see if that helps.;)

hello friday 7: thank you for sharing your experience... am going to add more potassium to my diet: bananas in my protein shakes and a supplement as you suggested... now wondering if i am over-hydrating and losing minerals etc through excessive urination.... will look into electrolyte sachets. meeting with doctor next week to review all.

again, thank you for your insights. with healthful wishes, cordelia

Yes, I have been low on both--at such times I feel VERY badly. My dr recently told me that taking too much salt can deplete potassium, so now I understand I have to be careful about salt loading. I tend to be a little low on magnesium too. My dr has given me a prescription for potassium to take when I feel poorly. Eating foods rich in potassium and magnesium should help.

merci for your feedback MTG...

dysautonomia is so nuanced... feels as if it is an impossible balancing act sometimes...

so grateful that there are so many well versed people on this forum that reach out across the ether to offer good counsel!

will talk with MD about potassium supplements as well as the other supplements suggested.

thank you for chiming in with your experiences--sometimes it simply helps to know that someone else is walking down the

same road.

with healthful wishes,

C.