Link To Sleep Disorder?

abetterjulie

I saw this article today and was curious if anyone here has this problem with sleep.

http://www.medpagetoday.com/Neurology/SleepDisorders/22187?utm_content=GroupCL&utm_medium=email&impressionId=1284621851764&utm_campaign=DailyHeadlines&utm_source=mSpoke&userid=228836

I have thought about asking for a sleep study. I might do that now that I see a connection.

Interesting. I have slept bad for the last 20 years, since I had kids. I have used Xanax off/on for sleep. I had a sleep study that only confirmed that I sleep bad.

I would be interested to know what the researchers plan to do to help these sleepers keep these neurodegenerative problems from cropping up or getting worse.

A regular sleep study does not involve imaging. It seems like a particular REM sleep disorder is associated with the neurodegenerative issues. From my read, they then did SPECT imaging of those with the dx.

A sleep study still might be a good idea as it can uncover issues that play into how you feel. Anything that helps is good, right?

A sleep study would pick up on REM sleep behavior disorder even without the imaging:

"In a person with REM sleep behavior disorder (RBD), the paralysis that normally occurs during REM sleep is incomplete or absent, allowing the person to "act out" his or her dreams. RBD is characterized by the acting out of dreams that are vivid, intense, and violent. Dream-enacting behaviors include talking, yelling, punching, kicking, sitting, jumping from bed, arm flailing, and grabbing..."

But your sleep partner (if you have one) would be able to tell you as well. It might discover apnea as well, which is treatable!

Bad Sleep makes everything worse. I've had it since 2006 in a severe fashion. I balked at the sleep study idea suggested at first because while married 14 years - I never snored and never stopped breathing per the husband. Yet none of the meds to put me down would work - not even SIX mg. of ATIVAN!!! Big time problem. After trying all the meds offered which were many and varied I gave up.... And just would not sleep well...and every few months a couple of back to back nights with no sleep where I felt close to death.

Finally -- as I was trying to uncover any possible reasons for feeling my symptoms as I do ... I asked for a sleep study. I never wanted to because even if they did do one - and found sleep apnea -- I knew I could never tolerate the mask.

Okay so I have the study and I find I have sleep apnea. After a recent 35 pound weight loss - it's classified as mild where I only stop breathing 12 times per hour or some such thing. But my 02 sats were bad dipping to 72%. I earned the coveted CPAP machine.

I am only on night number 5 of wearing it .... & of course I despise the thing. I do not wear hats, glasses, sunglasses -- nothing touching my head - not even makeup! And I have to put THAT on? LOL...

I'll keep trying it - because maybe it will help me if I persevere ... & in the back of my mind was the severe morning headache I had after the study where the sleep tech told me 'no wonder you have a headache - you were oxygen starved'..... & the times I'd wake up gasping.

During REM sleep was when my SATS dropped so low each and every time... weird. So for what it's worth -- yes I should have had this done at least 3 years ago....yes CPAP is gnarly......BUT if you ever want motivation to lose weight - this is surely the ticket - as they say if you do - you can often times get rid of the CPAP...........I'll look forward to that day for sure!

"Okay so I have the study and I find I have sleep apnea. After a recent 35 pound weight loss - it's classified as mild where I only stop breathing 12 times per hour or some such thing. But my 02 sats were bad dipping to 72%. I earned the coveted CPAP machine."

Nowwhat-

At least you got the dx. Untreated sleep apnea causes heart damage over time due to the oxygen deprivation according to most studies. Link to audio on UK mild sleep apnea report. Link to general info.

Additionally sleep apnea has been associated with memory problems and cognitive issues (Link, Wiki).

As an added incentive in adjusting to your mask, using the CPAP machine can help you lose weight. Sleep apnea can actually contribute to weight issues - a chicken and the egg type thing. I hope your doctor is working with you to find the best equipment fit for you. By fit, I mean more than correct sizing and choice of CPAP vs. BiPAP. There are many many masks and nose pieces on the market. It is worth seeking out equipment that will work for you as you know you will have a problem with compliance.

Obviously, I take sleep disorders seriously and think they are underdx'd.

wishing you the best with your new sleep attire :rolleyes: ,

noreen

I too have apenea. I've been TRYING to wear the CPAP for 2 years now. I still fight with it. I have found that the nasal mask is better than the one that goes over your nose. At least you don't get as much clostophobia. I like the Opus 360, the best. I've had 3 different nasal ones and 3 different regular over the nose ones. This for me is the best. I too have low oxygen, and at times, the CPAP isn't enough. When I go up in altitude - I have to use oxygen too. I've gone with not using it and find that even though I fight with it - It does help. I feel better wearing it - than not. So, for now - it's what has to be. They consider you a succcessful wearer if you use it for 4 hours. I manage the whole night - but still don't sleep well. So far, it hasn't helped me to lose weight - but here's hoping. I do feel that it is connected to the autonomic thing. Sometimes, while just walking around or being up - I know I don't breathe right. My husband says I hold my breath - I don't even realize when I do it.