Cleveland Clinic-Blood Volume Test

kitshalleen

hi everyone,

i hope this finds some of you doing well. i just went to the cleveland clinic and had a bunch of testing gone. i didn't really understand one of the tests though.

i had a blood volume test and my blood volume was a little low, but my red cell volume was low by 24%, which the doctor said could mark anemia. i am not anemic, so he said that i should have my internist run further iron studies or to see a hematologist. could anyone shed more light on this?

thanks so much,

kit

I will be having a full iron panel including ferritin at my next appointment as well. I have heard that even though you aren't anemic your ferritine or iron storage can be quite low and mean you are on the verge of being anemic it's just not showing up yet. I have also been told by a girl who has basically recovered from POTS that B12 shots can help build red blood cells. She said once she got her ferritin levels up and B12 shots along with some other things she felt much much better. That's pretty much all I have to add. That's great that your blood volume is not that bad!!