Flying Tomorrow And Terrified!!

mancmm19

Hello, I haven't posted on the forum in a while and I don't know why it only clicked in 24 hours before my flight to post a topic!! I am flying from New York to Florida tomorrow afternoon, less than 2 months after having a HORRIBLE flight.

I flew to Mayo the middle of June and it was THE worst day of my life. I had drank plenty of water and salty foods and had taken .75 of Xanex prior to calm any possible nerves, but what I experienced on the plane was simply not related to panic. After we took-off, I thought I actually beat any sort of symptoms when BAMM, out of no where I started feeling as thought I was going to pass out. My face started tingling and I was getting the worst adrenal surges (if that's what they were.) I kept getting these "waves of death" as I call them where my whole body could feel the pressure and speed of the plane. I wound up laying on the floor of the galley with Oxygen and trying to keep calm for the 3 and a half hour flight. I managed to psych myself up for the return flight, which wasn't nearly as bad, but I still needed to lay on the floor of the plane for an hour or so and force myself through it. I was prescribed 15mg of Remeron while at Mayo which I had taken the night prior to my returning flight, so I'm not sure if that's what is wasn't AS bad as the first trip.

Saturday is my Grandmother's 90th surprise party and my whole family is flying down to Florida to surprise her. We leave tomorrow at 2pm and come home early Tuesday morning. I'm am absolutely terrified to face the symptoms and sensations that I did on my previous flights, as I thought I was simply not going to make it. Considering the Xanex didn't help, I'm trying Klonopin this time in addition to salty foods and hydration.

Does anyone have an suggestions/tips for me and most importantly, has anyone else felt these "waves of death" as I describe? They were most prominent during take-off and when the plane was turning, although I had a few through-out the flight as well. It would make me feel so much better if I knew that I wasn't the only one who has experienced this pressure-filled feeling of dread. Thanks!

I would suggest that you wear compression where ever on your body you can figure out how to compress. Those abdominal binders in the sports section help and some type of exercise Lycra pants or bike pants to compress your legs. Take some Emergen C's with you and put them into water and sip. Get a B Complex 100 mg. and take one before you board, at least 30 or more minutes before so it will be working on your nerves. The Xanax will also help to calm your nerves down. Hopefully, you've had it before and know that your body does okay with it. Some of those type drugs do the opposite on me. (It's called a paradox reaction.) Drink some gingerale too. That helps with naseau and the headachey, ugh I don't feel good feelings. Tell them that you need something to eat the second you board the plane. Some carbs, like crackers that are salty or peanuts - if you like them. Tell them you need it for your health condition. They will usually bring it to you before take off. They won't bring liquid but will bring food. Board first, those with disabilities and health issues are allowed to board before anyone else and you can pick your seat and get settled in before anyone else boards. That also helps to settle you down and get your mind geared up for the trip. I can't read, it will make me sick. If you can watch a movie on your computer, that may help. Make it a comedy.

Good Luck, hon!!!! You can do it, you WILL be FINE!!!!! Let us know how it goes.

Good ideas Issy!

There is one thing I used to do when I had to fly for work that helped. I used sound isolating headphones. For me noise can be a big trigger and minimizing the sounds of the plane and people helped.

so put some relaxing music or something on an MP3 and know we are pulling for you.

Knowing that you were able to lay down in the galley is very helpful for you to know you can do again if you need! I think you've got good advice already, except I wouldn't take any new vitamins/meds you are not used to. I personally get heart racing with B vitamins and cannot take them.

Guest tearose

I do understand Michele...that very scary feeling is probably when you are starting to hyperventilate. I immediately pull my legs up onto the seat with my knees to my chin and breathe slowly. You may need to bear down on your gut as well to help find your ability to breathe again. Take off and landing or anytime the cabin pressure is low will trigger SVT, hyperventilation or blood pooling in most of us. I think you can manage it if you are ready for it. Ask your PCP for a letter, inform the cabin attendant and be prepared with water, electrolytes in a dry packet you can toss into the water. (Since we can't bring already mixed electrolytes on board without filing a major pile of paperwork!)

I too increase my compression garment load. Use the abdominal garment under full compression panty hose.

I also usually request the "highest amount of cabin pressure possible". You will get a funny look since most passengers don't ask about the cabin pressure but you will be accommodated if it is possible.

Have a good trip and if it is too late to get the letter, just inform the crew that you have physical disability that you must manage.

tearose