Insulin Resistance

nmorgen

My new cardiologist told me today that I had insulin resistance, but my glucose levels were normal. I know that I get times when I am hypoglycemic. i was told to start exercising and it should improve. Does anyone else have this or have any experience that could help me?

I have insulin resistance too, and my glucose levels are normal. I make sure to eat whole grains no refined carbohydrates as well as exersize (when my body will allow me to). I also have Polycystic Ovaries (PCO) which is correlated with insulin resistance. Some doctors will prescribe Metformin to help your cells more sensitive to insulin.

I find losing weight more difficult, but don't have too many issues other than that.

My sister had insulin resistance for years. At age 40 she was diagnosed with type II diabetes. She did nothing initially to lose weight, manage her diet, step up exercise. If there is anythng you can do to manage it before it may develop into something serious that is important.

I have a good friend just diagnosed with both insulin resistance and PCO. She radically changed her diet and exercise regime and is losing weight, but I know it isn't easy.

I've known I was insulin resistant for about 20 years. I watch my diet and take GTF Chromium and it hasn't developed into anything else. I'm also over weight. Most people if they are over weight are insulin resistant, just sooos you know. You have to eat whole foods and not processed and cut our sugar and white things. You should pretty much eat like a diabetic. Because it is a precussor to diabeties. You sure don't want that.

Thanks for the replies. I am going to start a regular exercise routine. I'm not overweight, but I wouldn't mind losing a few pounds. Hmm my dr didn't advise me to start a diabetic diet when I asked him. I do get hypoglycemic episodes and he told me to carry candy with me when I'm exercising. I usually get hyperglycemic after physical exertion or if I haven't eaten in a few hours. I can't go very long without eating or I will pass out. I don't think it's the POTs b/c the symptoms feel a little different, but who knows. I'm hoping that the exercise will help me, but I am willing to try a lower GI food plan. I'm celiac and I would still like to enjoy some GF food, but I can't find any information on where any of it falls on the GI index. Hopefully, if I only partake of GF goodies occasionally I will be okay. I don't want diabetes. I guess I'll see if my blood work improves after starting the exercise program. I have to go back after 3 months of exercise. My exercise is to walk 45 min everyday. I might start a little slower the first week or so, I know I don't want to over do it. I was planning on using our bike, but my cardiologist thinks that while it is still sunny I should walk outside and try to get natural vitD as I'm always deficient. 45 min walking in the sunshine, people keep me in your prayers.

I'm going to totally disagree with your doctor. If you have hypoglycemia and hyperglycemia --- candy is the last thing you want to use, unless your sugar is so low you are going to pass out and go into a coma. When you eat sugar you do get a spike in your blood sugar ---then, you get a drastic drop that will be worse than the first low. That's why when diabetics drink juice it brings it up in a hurry. You want to try to keep it level as possible. That may mean eating something every two hours - preferably protein. You can keep it more level and balanced without the wild swings. Also, when you eat carbs ALWAYS eat protein with it. It helps to counter the effect of the carbs. You do need some carbs, that's what gives you energy. If you have Brown Rice Pasta and meat sauce or cheese on it (remember the fat in the cheese, but it won't hurt the sugar issue.) Vegtables, but be careful of the fruit and don't drink fruit juice. Look at the glycemic diet and eat like that.

Does your doctor know ANYTHING about POTS? I wonder?????? You can't take the heat, number one. And if you aren't used to exercise -- you for sure can't do 45 minutes. Most POTS doctors tell you to start out slow, as much as only 5 minutes at a time and work up. Pay attention to your body, you will need LOTS of prayers if you attempt that and you're not used to it.

As I said before, the GTF Chromium has balanced my swings out. My doc. has me taking one a.m. and one p.m. when it is not completely in control or I eat wrong. Otherwise, one in the a.m. seems to work.

Nmorgan, I would love to hear your blood sugar history. What tests did your doctor do to come to the conclusion that you have IR? There are a few of us on the board that have "extreme" sugar issues regarding hypos. I know me and Vemee have this year been tested for an insulinoma, that's how bad out hypos get. Would love to compare tests/labs.

Nmorgan, I would love to hear your blood sugar history. What tests did your doctor do to come to the conclusion that you have IR? There are a few of us on the board that have "extreme" sugar issues regarding hypos. I know me and Vemee have this year been tested for an insulinoma, that's how bad out hypos get. Would love to compare tests/labs.

I didn't get a copy of the tests. Next time I go I will ask for a copy. he told me that my fasting test insulin levels were high, but my glucose was normal.

issie - I guess he told me to take a piece of candy b/c when my bs does drop I do pass out, and it happens really fast. One minute I'm ok and the next I start shaking and that's all she wrote. I bought Snickers bars to take on my walk. They are low on the GI index, but they do make me feel better. It isn't that hot here right now, but it is sunny. I grew up in the South and I tend to feel ok in the heat(unless it's over 90 and then I need ac). The really cold weather seems to make me worse.

Update - I walked over 45 min today. I actually felt really good until I started getting hot and I burned over 700calories according to my Polar. I ate 1/2 a Snickers bar during the walk and never had a problem with getting hypo. I came home and made dinner and now I'm starting to get tired. i'm not hungry though. I had to force myself to eat.

GOOD FOR YOU!!! I'm glad you did okay and were able to tolerate it. Some of us just can't take the heat or cold. Our bodies don't regulate properly. I'm one of those. Since you were able to tolerate the exercise, that's a real good sign, you haven't gotten de-conditioned. So, if you keep it up, maybe you won't. It's real hard to reverse, when that happens.

Now, I understand about the candy. That's about the only reason, you'd do sugar. At least your choice has protein in it. But, it also has corn syrup and that isn't so good. Try to find something with a better sugar and protein. Maybe something at the health food store. Can't give any suggestions because I try not to do sugar either. If I do, I use pure cane sugar or agave sweetner.

For a few years now my hbA1c has been high normal of just slightly abnormal - ranging from 5.9 to 6.1 So I guess that means my avg. daily sugar is about 124 to 128 or so. My fasting blood sugars are usually now about 115. My glucose tolerance test - the 2 hour kind had me at 115 fasting and I drank the stuff and then 2 hours later it was 118. So while never having been told officially I'm diabetic - those numbers to me suggest that it's time to do something/anything to correct them -- as I'm staring diabetes in the face. With diabetes your fasting needs to be 126 or higher. So my numbers aren't staggeringly bad - but I'm being tested for things now that can relate to having higher than normal sugars such as small fiber neuropathy. I am in the midst of a major weight loss overhaul - and exercise program to enhance the healthier eating. I think for optimal health I will purchase a few books or read some articles on what comprises a 'diabetic' diet. I know some basic do's and don'ts - & a bit about foods high in their glycemic index or low....but by no means am an expert at it. So till I read that - I just do my best with a reduced calorie diet loaded with 5/day fruits and veg, lean protein, decreased fat, whole grains etc... No one has ever mentioned insulin resistance - but a doc recently said this was likely 'pre-diabetes' - I do have abdominal fat and hypertension - so those 3 in combination are not anything to fool around with I'm told.........

Good job with the exercise!

I think they recently lowered the "normal" levels to 111. They want you below that at fasting. So, a 115 is considered too high. Also, my sis had a glucose test and had a flat line too, this was indicative of improper take up and insulin resistance. Normally you would go up with the sugar, since you didn't that's a sign.

For a few years now my hbA1c has been high normal of just slightly abnormal - ranging from 5.9 to 6.1 So I guess that means my avg. daily sugar is about 124 to 128 or so. My fasting blood sugars are usually now about 115. My glucose tolerance test - the 2 hour kind had me at 115 fasting and I drank the stuff and then 2 hours later it was 118. So while never having been told officially I'm diabetic - those numbers to me suggest that it's time to do something/anything to correct them -- as I'm staring diabetes in the face. With diabetes your fasting needs to be 126 or higher. So my numbers aren't staggeringly bad - but I'm being tested for things now that can relate to having higher than normal sugars such as small fiber neuropathy. I am in the midst of a major weight loss overhaul - and exercise program to enhance the healthier eating. I think for optimal health I will purchase a few books or read some articles on what comprises a 'diabetic' diet. I know some basic do's and don'ts - & a bit about foods high in their glycemic index or low....but by no means am an expert at it. So till I read that - I just do my best with a reduced calorie diet loaded with 5/day fruits and veg, lean protein, decreased fat, whole grains etc... No one has ever mentioned insulin resistance - but a doc recently said this was likely 'pre-diabetes' - I do have abdominal fat and hypertension - so those 3 in combination are not anything to fool around with I'm told.........

Good job with the exercise!

Issie - Luckily they don't use cornsyrup in Snickers or soft drinks over here, just regular sugar. I know that hf corn syrup is really bad. I thought that it was suppose to be eliminated from US foods at some point. I don't eat a lot of sugar, but I don't think I could cut it out completely right now. Good for you for stopping eating sugar.

I am trying to follow the old Richard Simmons Deal a Meal diet as it was originally based on the American Diabetic Associations exchange list. I'm just going to use lower GI index foods for my fruits and breads. When I looked into this IR every website recommended exercise, so I have to stick with the exercise. I really have no choice. I know I don't want diabetes.

nowwhat!- I have had those type of glucse test and I was always told that mine were fine. My GYN did want me tested every year, so I now wonder if it could have been a little higher, but not diabetic levels. I know that I usually felt really bad after drinking that stuff though. This last test was 24 hour fast and I didn't drink any of the solution. They did a blood draw and not the prick.

Thanks everyone for the encouragement. I just have to remember to make myself do it everyday. I think that is going to be my hurdle, actually keeping up with it.

Yes keeping up with something daily does take a bit of initiative and doing it even when you find a zillion truly legitimate reasons not too! I have that issue here - I'm in Arizona and it's monsoon season - the avg. daily temp the last two weeks is nearing 110! Yesterday a storm blew off a big chunk of the Mayo Hospitals 5th floor wall! It looked like a white tornado touching down to the ground - quite a storm! So because it's so hot I haven't gotten a lot of walking in except in the beautiful indoor malls. I once did a 30min walk outside. The scale says I've gained - gasp - in my week here so far! I hate that - but my routine here is anything but routine....won't go home till the first of Sept. If you could -- you might want to start a binder with your lab records in it, scans, all your medical stuff. That way you can track your yearly A1C's and the actual 'number' of your fasting sugars. I do know that a few years prior to my suspecting higher than avg. sugars I was with hypoglycemia -- learned accidently in a hosptial orientation program learning their brand of glucose monitor -- we tested me and I was like 60's after lunch - they wondered what my sugar was before lunch! But now it's like double that - so I'm on board for diet and exercise as those 2 things I can control. It's hard - very hard to do when exercise causes pain - that's been a major hurdle for me to get over -- that even though it hurts and it's hard - I'm truly better off doing it to the best of my ability! Good luck to you!

I forgot to comment(brain fog) on the small fiber neuropathy. I have that, but i didn't know that it could cause higher glucose levels. Makes me wonder if it is throwing my glucose numbers off.