Working & Going To School

nmorgen

I just wanted some input from those who are currently working/going to school and those who can no longer work/go to school.

I have been a stay- at-home mom for about 5 yrs. My symptoms got bad about 3 1/2 yrs ago. Before that I was a manager at Fedex and it was a pretty physical job, but that was then and this unfortunately is now. I would really like to go back and get my MBA in healthcare admin. My thinking was that a job in healthcare admin would pretty much be a sit down office job. As my POTs doesn't seem to be getting any better, even with medication I am a little concerned. I don't want to spend the time and money for the education if I wont be able to work. I do realize everyone is different, but I'm hoping to find someone who has hyper and similar symptoms and whether they are able to cope with working or if it's too much. I would like to think that I could handle it, but sometimes that just isn't enough. I guess I want to know what kind of jobs those who are still working have, is it primarily a desk job or is it more physical. Are you having more problems while working or are you ok? For those who are not able to work, the same question. Did you have a desk job or was it more physically demanding? What kind of symptoms forced you to stop working/going to school?

Thank to all who answer.

Given your age, I would probably try a couple courses and see how you do. I was so upset when I had to give up getting my MPH but I was also working at the time.

One thing to keep in mind is that hospitals are huge - it easily can be a mile walk to your desk from parking even with handicapped accomodations.

What is your undergrad degree in?

Given your age, I would probably try a couple courses and see how you do. I was so upset when I had to give up getting my MPH but I was also working at the time.

I'm hoping that the school wont be too bad. I am looking at taking a class or two to see how it goes.

One thing to keep in mind is that hospitals are huge - it easily can be a mile walk to your desk from parking even with handicapped accomodations.

I was thinking that I might try a doctors office. If we are still here I am looking at applying with WHO.

My BS degree is in Applied Math with a minor in BA and Chemistry

I'm hoping that the school wont be too bad. I am looking at taking a class or two to see how it goes.

I was thinking that I might try a doctors office. If we are still here I am looking at applying with WHO.

My BS degree is in Applied Math with a minor in BA and Chemistry

Have you thought of Public Health? Epidemiology would seem to fit you perfectly.

Here is a link to a free intro to Public Health course. http://www.asph.org/UserFiles/PH%20101%20Collection.pdf

Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health also has oline courses. There used to be a repository of online PH courses - Supercourse I believe but I no longer have the link. If you are interested let me know.

Swiss School of Public Health website - http://www.ssphplus.ch/spip.php?page=ssph_home〈=en

My illness is exacerbated by overwork and lack of rest (among other things). I crawled on my hands and knees through two degrees and ended each a total wreck, but I have no regrets.

I pulled out of a third degree, which I was doing part-time, because I was too fatigued to keep up with both work and study. BUT my illness was undiagnosed at the time - maybe if I'd had a clue about how to manage my illness, I wouldn't have been so fatigued.

I currently work full-time in health policy. Its a desk job, but my work still needs to be restricted because of my illness - I can't fly out to meetings, and attending meetings locally is difficult when my panic attacks are really active. I now buy four weeks of extra leave each year so I can rest in the hottest and coldest months, when my body copes the most poorly. I can't overwork (as I would need to under normal circumstances) because I no longer seem to recover all of my functioning after an exacerbation. My fatigue levels are often so high that I almost never know that I'm anaemic before I'm forgetting meetings and and deadlines, and generally under-performing at work. I rest most weekends so that I'm fit to work another week. Periodically I become exhausted and I'm referred back to one of my Department's case workers who checks whether I'm ready to consider a partial invalidity arrangement - nope, not yet.

Working isn't for the faint-hearted with this illness.

I think that if you want to study, then do it. You know your limits - you can probably find ways to work within them and organise things so that you don't exceed them and become exhausted. If you become exhausted, you'll know to stop. It might not be a waste of time or money if you start with one unit and see how you go. It might be the best thing you've ever done.

As for work, follow your instincts. As long as you understand your illness - how to manage it optimally so you can prevent exacerbations - work might add another really valuable dimension to your life.

With best wishes

Dianne

Hi Reen,

I would be interested in any information you can provide. Thank you.

Hi Dianne,

Bravo to you for pushing through. I think I would enjoy working more than staying home. I have loved raising my kids and being there as they've grown, but now they are in school, I don't want to be home alone. I would rather be around other people, and hopefully I will find good people to work with and for. Thank you for the response.

I always, always, always think "oh, for sure, I can handle that" and then it turns out I have way too high of expectations. Three examples: walking around on vacation, I thought, "If my grandparents can do it, surely I can." not the case. This summer, I thought I could definitely handle a 12-4 mon-fri job working with kids (which I love!). This was not the case at all. I can work about 2 days, three days TOPS before I can't reliably even work. Lastly, I thought I could handle going back to school last semester, and I was in the ER four times in a month.

But hey, trial and error. don't put everything in one basket... go with something flexible so it will be less disappointing if you can't do it all at once.

Way to be brave! Go for it! :)

Liz

Hey! I also have small fbr neuropathy and mildly hyperadrenergic POTS. I have my BSN (nursing degree), but haven't worked since 6/07. I'm on long-term disability and just got approved for SSDI in February at a hearing. Early this year, we found a huge mold problem in our home and did a complete remediation. Since then, I've had improved energy (not perfect, but better) and we've taken in a 1-year-old foster child (who we hope to adopt). I could stay on disability, but really want to push myself and see how I do getting back to work. I decided the safest route would be to see if I could volunteer at the job site where I'd like to work (which is on my old nursing unit). I just completed a Functional Capacity Exam and was deemed to be able to do light/medium work, although the examiner specified that I would have to start part-time, and would need a day off after a day of work so I could get my small fiber and radicular pain under control. And she stated that fatigue might hinder me as well. So we'll see if volunteering works out, and if anyone would even take a chance and hire me...

So that would be my suggestion. Most workplaces like to have free labor. It might be a good way to see if this is even a career path you'd like to make sacrifices for. B) Good luck!

last year I couldn't work my usual hours. since 2 weeks I am back on my work for the 16 hours I also work.

I now work 2 days of 6 hours, I begin than at 10.30 h. so I have time enough to make a slow wake up.

The other 4 hours I start on 9 o'clock till 13h. so I have the afternoon to take my rest.

I work on an information job, phone and administration. some times it is difficult for my concentration, even when it is bussy at the phone. but I am glad I can do this job and that my hours I work me the change give to hold on.

sometimes I come home and need rest, but for now I have enough time to do my own things near my job.

and I'm lucky that I work parttime.