Low/undetectable Estrogen (estradiol) Levels - Probelmatic Or No?

iheartcats

Hello everyone,

A recent batch of blood tests came back (fairly normal, metabolic panel/CBC/etc. is OK).

The person who read my results said the Estrogen (I believe it was testing my estradiol) was 'undetectable.' He paused for a minute and I said what does this mean? He said it looks like it was below 20 so listed as 'undetectable' - I asked if this was an issue but he said it just said 'undetectable' but it wasn't highlighted as out of range.

So I left a message with the Doctor and went online. It looks like a normal range can be 50-400...but it should be detected in a woman in her 30s. It usually doesn't drop to below 50 until around age 50 (this is all 'in general' of course).

Does anyone have experience with this? I am not underweight (in fact I'm a bit opposite of that!), I eat decently, and I take Seasonique Lo-Dose Birth Control which is Estrogen/Progestin. Can it be affecting my POTS at all?

I feel better on the BCP then I did on Mirena (Mirena just was bad for me).

In general, my POTS has been better on my meds lately, but I do have more fatigue than usual.

Hi Cat Lady,

I also have very low estroidol. The dr at the Mayo told me I was probably in perimenopause. My local OB/GYN didn't really seem to make much of it. He gave me a prescription for an estrogen the you umh insert, ya know. I don't know if it has caused more problems. I do know that my periods are quite heavy, but only last 2 days. Wish I knew more myself.

I talked to my doctor and he said it could be menopause (I am really young for that - but it's not unheard of) or it could be the Seasonique.

To do another blood test, I'd have to go off Seasonique and I don't want to - my POTS is somewhat behaving and I'm not shaking the boat as the low Estrogen isn't a 'huge deal' at this point.

Has anyone experienced really low Estrogen because of Seasonique? I was on Mirena and went right to Seasonique and don't really have a period anymore.

What kind of doctor is this???? You can not measure estrogen levels while the woman is taking BCPs. I am a nurse midwife - geez. Please tell me this is not an ob/gyn!!! Tell him you will consult with a gyn - who will laugh their head off!!

Louise

I talked to my doctor and he said it could be menopause (I am really young for that - but it's not unheard of) or it could be the Seasonique.

To do another blood test, I'd have to go off Seasonique and I don't want to - my POTS is somewhat behaving and I'm not shaking the boat as the low Estrogen isn't a 'huge deal' at this point.

Has anyone experienced really low Estrogen because of Seasonique? I was on Mirena and went right to Seasonique and don't really have a period anymore.

What kind of doctor is this???? You can not measure estrogen levels while the woman is taking BCPs. I am a nurse midwife - geez. Please tell me this is not an ob/gyn!!! Tell him you will consult with a gyn - who will laugh their head off!!

Louise

Not an OB/GYN - just my primary. So that's what it is? My Seaonique?

Unfortunately I'm not on a BCP, so I guess I probably am in perimenopause. I feel that I'm too young to be going through it also.

Yes, it is the seasonique. The test was useless. What was he looking for anyway? No you do not need to stop your bcp. Measuring estradiol has limited usefulness in most situations. I can not tell how often primary care doc have screwed out gyn stuff. If you have any concerns, see a gyn, This doc ordered a test he did not understand.

Louise

Cat Lady,

I have low Estradiol, Testosterone, LH and FsH. My endocrinologist checked my hormone levels by taking blood at the same time, same day, each week for six weeks. All were low, he called them "barely adequate." My OB/GYN put me on Estratest (HRT) and now my hormones are actually within "normal limits" but still low. My endo says that it is perimenopause, but my OB/GYN says that since my FsH isn't high, it isn't menopause, but a pituitary issue. Birth control will suppress the LH and FsH, so your tests will appear "weird." I'd only worry if you are getting strange bleeding or none at all.

Hey Cat,

I dont have time to read all the other replies so I hope I'm not just repeating things but I am going through all this hormone replacement stuff and that is extremely low! Progesterone is the one that seems to have the best effect on me for the nervous system stuff as it is known as the calming hormone and when it's very low it will cause havoc on the nervous system. Hope you get the treatment you need should you choose that route! Definitely go bio-identical! :-)

KC

Hey Cat,

I dont have time to read all the other replies so I hope I'm not just repeating things but I am going through all this hormone replacement stuff and that is extremely low! Progesterone is the one that seems to have the best effect on me for the nervous system stuff as it is known as the calming hormone and when it's very low it will cause havoc on the nervous system. Hope you get the treatment you need should you choose that route! Definitely go bio-identical! :-)

KC

I second the bio-identical. The regular estrogen/progestin's can cause all kinds of issues. The bio-identical for pre/post menapause is great. But, that won't help with birth control. Read books: What you doctor may not tell you about pre menapause and What your doctor may not tell you about menapause. Also, if you decide to do the bio hormones, Dr. Wrights book on Natural hormone replacement.

There are NO safety benefits is bioidentical hormones - non of it is natural. There is alot of voodoo medicine are bio-identical hormones especially compounded products. Research studies have shown wildly variations in the amount of hormones in the compounded products. Despite what the designer pharmacist say what matters is how you feel - not blood tests or saliva tests. I do not get the idea of natural hormones: natural is accepting your body changes and doing nothing. Unless you pick it off tree, it is not natural. Sorry - but it one of those things I don't get. I see patients all the time getting in lots of trouble and being confused. "but it was natural" so is poison ivy.

Louise

Hey Cat,

KC

I second the bio-identical. The regular estrogen/progestin's can cause all kinds of issues. The bio-identical for pre/post menapause is great. But, that won't help with birth control. Read books: What you doctor may not tell you about pre menapause and What your doctor may not tell you about menapause. Also, if you decide to do the bio hormones, Dr. Wrights book on Natural hormone replacement.