Wake Up In The Middle Of Night

Hi all,

This past week, I've been waking up in the middle of night or early morning (3:00am) finding myself literally bend over with shortness of breath. The shortness of breath isn't the severe kind like asthma, it's more of a feeling that there's no enough oxygen going into my chest. I'm wondering has this happen to anyone?

Shan

I get respiratory symptoms at night during exacerbations of my illness - sometimes I've woken gasping for breath, as though my body has forgotten to breathe; sometimes it feels as though I'm trying to suck oxygen out of a thick fog; sometimes, as I'm drifting off to sleep, I become aware that I'm not breathing; and sometimes I wake in the morning feeling oxygen-starved. When my symptoms are at their worst, I often have dreams about suffocating or drowning - many years ago, during one of these dreams, my boyfriend at the time was trying to wake me because I wasn't breathing.

My respiratory symptoms come and go, depending on how well-controlled my illness is. I've had a sleep study, and I wasn't symptomatic enough at the time to show more than a few harmless hypopnoeas.

As long as you're symptomatic at the time, a sleep study will generally capture any respiratory problems - this is something you could discuss with your doctor.

Good luck and best wishes

Dianne

It could be sleep apnea. There are two kinds. One is obstructive and one is central. Both kinds can wake you up to make you breathe. There has been a thread on this in the past. Do a search on it and you will find the comments. You probably are gasping for breathe. We also had a discussion on how it seems allot of us don't breathe right even when awake. Don't know if it's autonomic system issues or we just need to re-train ourselves in our breathing patterns. Something to think about!!!