Domperadone/motilium Dopamine Antagonist Questions

nmorgen

Hi everyone,

About a week ago I asked if anyone else had nausea from drinking water. Well, sine then I haven't been drinking that much water b/c well I was just nauseated and the water was making it worse. Friday, I woke up in horrible pain and thought I might have a kidney infection. I went to my GP and she told me I had a little blood in my urine and I could possibly have a kidney stone. She gave me a prescription for motilium and told me to start drinking a lot more water. The motilium has helped with the nausea and the constipation I was experiencing, but I have had a little more tremelousness while sleeping. I tried to look up the interactions with the clonidine, but I realized that domperadone/motilium has never been approved by the FDA. It is a dopamine antagonist and I just wanted to get someones input on if they have ever taken anything similar and if it bothered your POTs. I don't want to take this and end up worse off. It has allowed me to start drinking more water which has helped my kidneys to feel better. I'm also wondering if the severe constipation I have been experiencing for the past month could be a gastro motility issue. I can definitely feel my intestines working since I started taking the motilium. It's just a little disconcerting to find that the FDA has never approved this drug. I know a lot of you know more about dopamine/epinephrine/norepinephrine and dysautonomia and how they affect it than I do and would just like some input on whether you think this would be okay to continue or use with caution. Thanks.

My son would not be able to function without domperidone. It has made a huge difference for him in controlling his nausea. He's been on it for a couple of years.

I too was initially concerned about it not being FDA approved. I spoke at length about it with the pharmacist who compounds it for him. He assured me that it is a political issue between the company that manufactures domperidone and the FDA. In Europe, domperidone is an over-the-counter drug.

I don't know if the domperidone worsens any of Dan's other symptoms - dizziness or fatigue - but it's worth it to bring down the nausea.

Good luck.

It's good to know that another POTs sufferer is taking this drug. I have to say I was a little leary when I read it had not been approved by the FDA. Of course I had already taken it by then. I'm thinking the agitation I felt last night might have just been anxiety at learning that it was an unapproved drug and I didn't know the interactions between it and clonidine. I know that I didn't feel bad after taking it like I do with so many other medicines.

I know it definitely helped with the nausea and this is the first good BM I've had in weeks. I've read that it is used for gastroparesis as well as nausea. After reading several posts on dinet about constipation and slow motility, I'm wondering if this might actually be my problem. Maybe the slow motility has been causing the nausea. I haven't had to take the motilium today as I haven't experienced any nausea. I am thinking about taking a pill when I start to notice severe constipation and nausea. Maybe my intestines just need a kick start.

Lots of folks with dysautonomia have GI motility issues. I'm sorry I didn't respond to your earlier post, but that is what I suspected when i read that you were having trouble even drinking water. There are only 2 meds that are widely (and safely) used for GI motility & domeridone/motillium is one. I think you will find that many here safely use it.

My son (and I at times) use the other, liquid erythromycin (Eyy-Ped), in tiny pediatric dosages as a GI prokinetic. He takes just 1/2 tsp of that sweet pink stuff and is able to eat and have normal BM's. etc.

Rest easy & know you are not alone. Your GP sounds fabulous My son was put through a year of misery, suffering, oodles of tests, hospital visits multiple trips to Johns Hopkins, etc to learn the same thing.

Feel better-

Julie

I looked up the diet for gastroparesis today. It's completely opposite of how I have been eating lately. I have been trying to eat tons of fiber hoping that the constipation would get better. Now I'm thinking that I probably just made the whole thing a lot worse. I'm looking at doing the liquid diet for 1 day and then going on to the stage 2 part of the diet. I'm hoping that the 1 day of liquid will be enough, b/c I don't know if I could do it for longer. :angry:

It makes me feel better that you both have actually heard of this medication and it is safe and it works. I really appreciate you responding and giving me peace of mind.

Domperidone (motilium) is fully approved for use in the UK. I have had it many times from my doctor (both before and after my POTS diagnosis). Most of the time my GI tract moves far too quickly so I don't often need this sort of med but I would take it without any concerns.

Flop

ive been on domperidone for the last year, like you it became so that i couldnt tolerate liquids, over the course of a month due to the nausea. my bowels were also messed up too.

i was so reluctant to take meds before hand, but i felt when i couldnt drink that i had no choice, and the constant nausea kind of made the decision for me.

i was taking 30 mg, three times a day, (10mg at a time), now im on 20mg twice a day. im going to cut down and see if i can manage without it soon. i also have eds.

i have tried other types but they havent work, before i tried domperidone.x

I am so happy that everyone who has heard of or is taking the medication has responded to this post. I'm also really glad that it does seem to help everyone and hasn't caused any problems. I am taking 10 mg twice a day, and hoping that in another week I will be able to wean off it and use only when needed. We will see.