anyone tried butchers broom

Tanna

:unsure:

I've read buthers broom helps OI symptoms by raising blood pressure upon standing, but not causing high blood pressure when lying down. I'ts also suppose to help blood from pooling in the legs. It would be great if we could find natural ways to treat these symptoms without using all these harsh drugs.Drugs to treat one symptom almost always has a side effect, and god knows we don't need another symptom to deal with. If anyone has tried this herb, please let me know how you did on it and if it helped.

Edited by MightyMouse

Hi Tanna, I sometimes take Butcher's Broom.    I believe the effects are similar to what Proamatine does, which is squeeze your blood vessels.    I find BB to be a pretty mild effect, but I'll sometimes take it before I go to the store and I've noticed my legs ache a little less.

Here's more info:

http://www.viable-herbal.com/herbdesc/1butcher.htm

Thank You for the info. i think I'll give it a try. (Q) Do your legs turn purple from blood pooling when your standing? Do you see any differance in that when using Butchers broom?

Tanna

Butcher's broom according to the info in What Helps can also act as a diuretic. If you read about it in herb books it is often referred to as a diuretic. I have thought about the pros vs. the cons in someone who has hypovolemia and is working hard to build up plasma volume. Personally, I would not want Nicole to take it because of the double edged sword thing.

Beverly

Tanna - yes my legs do turn purple, I notice it especially in the shower. I think this is pretty common to us potsies :) I haven't thought to notice whether butcher's broom helps the coloring, although I'm guessing it does as my legs usually ache when they turn purple... If you do try it, let us know how it works for you.

Nicole's mom, you're right, butchers broom can act as a diuretic, in the same way proamitine can. When you squeeze the vessels you can squeeze out fluid and hence dehydrate yourself. I found I couldn't tolerate proamitine, probably for that reason - I got dehydrated and felt worse. I found Butcher's broom to be milder and I didn't notice that same effect. But everyone is different, so as always, use caution.