Severe Allergic Reactions

Angelika_23

Hello,

My 17 year old son has never had food allergies in his life. Ever. So almost two weeks ago we were visiting a friend and she cut up a nectarine and served it. My son ate one piece and his tongue felt numb. Being a teenager, he decided to ignore it and eat more. His throat and tongue started swelling. We gave him Benadryl and my fingers were on my phone to dial 911 if needed. His throat did not swell shut, though his voice was funny because of all the swelling in his throat. I took him to an allergist a couple of days later. They did skin testing earlier this week and decided he is allergic to most tree pollen. They asked us to come in yesterday with some fruit to skin test that. He tested positive to every fruit. Stupid things like grapes and apples...

Anyway he had just eaten an apple 3 days ago and did fine. He ate one last night and his lips itched and he got chest pain, etc.

I am going out of my mind. I don't understand why he is able to eat an apple three days ago but can't eat one now without a serious reaction. We've had to get an epi-pen for "just in case".

Will he start being allergic to vegetables next??

Advice welcome

Angela

My son is anaphylactic to milk and all milk products. He was doing an oral challenge to lactose (milk sugar) to see if he could take pills, since lactose is in most pills as a filler, and did great. The final challenge was an actual pill: amoxicillin, something he had before and would probably need again due to chronic sinus infections. He never got that pill down. He broke out into hives and his eyes swelled shut and the tip of his nose swelled! He looked awful. The allergist asked if he had ever had a reaction to it before and I told her "never." She said: "Well, he's allergic to it now!" She explained the immune/allergic system as a bucket, when it is full of allergens.....you react! It doesn't matter if he's had it before, he can't have it now. Sometimes, you can use food cycling to limit exposure (6 weeks with no fruits, and then small amounts for a limited time) but I'd just avoid it altogether. BE AWARE, if there is raw fruit in sauce or as garnish, he may react to it too. He might be able to stand cooked fruit, I have a friend whose son is horribly allergic to fresh fruit, but can have cooked fruit. He reacts the same way to wines, since the fruit isn't cooked before fermentation.

Allergy shots may help, but avoidance will be the big issue right now. Find a good allergist, you will probably need them. NEVER BE AFRAID TO USE THE EPI-PEN! Most allergy related deaths occur when people wait to use it, or don't go to the hospital afterward, so better safe than sorry!

Thanks Firewatcher,

You know, I am terrified of the epi-pen since no one really told me how to use it. I have read the instructions over and over, but feel let down by the allergist who casually threw the prescription at me.

Sometimes they come with a practice pen, ask for one. If they don't give you one at the pharmacy, ask a nurse at the allergist's office to demonstrate it to you AND your son. You both need to know how serious this is. There is no harm in using it, my allergist always says "stick first, then think about it on the way to the hospital!" It will make him tachy, it is an induced adrenaline rush; and it is a potent vasoconstrictor, so his feet and hands may go numb, but it will save his life in an emergency. Get really familiar with it, it is not a simple "poke," but it needs to become a no-brainer for both of you!

Sorry you are suddenly dealing with this, Angela- how frightening! Has you son always been allergic to many things? Symptomatic, sniffling, etc? Or is this all brand new?

There are very strange documented allergies that only occur under very specific circumstances. Many people react to a certain food ONLY if they exercise within 30 mins of eating it. Perhaps your son had been running around one time when he ate the apple and more sedentary the next???

I have used my epi-pen. It is a frightening decision, but a lifesaving one. I was also told that I would experience tachy, etc. That was NOT the case. During the anaphylaxis; tachy was one of my worst symptoms (HR response to dropping BP.) Within seconds of being stuck (hubby did it) ALL of my symptoms stopped- including the tachy.

Jennifer's right. There is a trainer pen in most double kits- great practice. The nurse at the allergist's office is a great resource too. The worst mistake is putting your thumb on the end of the pen as you jab. The epi is also released there with awful results- cyanosis, etc. The pen must be grabbed around the body of it.

Best of luck sorting it out.

Hugs-

Julie

Hi Julie,

It IS frightening! And no, he has NEVER had any allergies to foods at all! Now all of a sudden it is to all fruits! He does have the usual seasonal allergies that our whole household has, but nothing more. I don't remember him running around before eating the apple this last time. I think he was on the computer and got it for an evening snack.

Our family doctor says that maybe he is allergic to nectarines (which were the original severe reaction) and it has sensitised him to all fruits temporarily. Both the allergist and the family doc have ordered bloodwork. I wonder what they are looking for...

Thanks,

Angela

Hmmmm. I'm sure they are checking his serum tryptase via blood work. That rules out mastocytosis.

It's really weird that he tested positive to sooooo many things without a previous reaction or symptomology. Did he test positive to EVERYTHING? Or just select things? I ask because if these were skin tests & he was in an allergic state, the positive results may have been dermatographism. This occurs when the skin reacts to a slight touch with a raised red line. When I am off of my meds & reacting, I experience this. Wonder if this can explain the many positives. Verifying them with RAST blood tests may be a good idea.

Of course, once mastocytosis is ruled out....I wonder about MCAD. I am officially allergic to nothing, but I can experience anaphylaxis to anything- fun. I know your son is quite different with so many documented allergies, but what if they are false positives due to the dermatographism???? And to further confuse things, many with mastocytosis and MCAD have true allergies as well.

Does your son have ANY health issues, not necessarily allergy symptoms? Has he experienced any weird autonomic stuff? Stomach stuff, etc? Also, has he been under any stress lately- that's a doozy for me.

My heart breaks for you, Angela. This is really scary stuff. Keep in mind that he may be able to turn an episode around with benadryl or zyrtec without having to resort to an epi. Many use a puff of primatene mist (epinepherine) to avoid the epi- never did much for me.

Recognizing an attack is key. Unfortunately, for me, no two have been exactly the same. I've had the tingling lip/throat thing, the super fast tachy/pass out thing, the hoarse voice, sense of panic thing, etc. I can still tell what it is and know to locate the epi and pop an antihistamine. I pray this passes, but if it doesn't- he'll get to this point too.

Keep us posted on what you find out.

Hugs-

Julie

Julie,

He tested positive for all tree pollens and for all 13 fruits they tested him for. He did not react to grasses, pet dander, etc. They tested the pollens, grasses and dander one day and the fruits two days later.

I wonder about the skin thing. I cannot handle peeled fruit, it breaks me out but I can eat it just fine. I thought it would be the same for him, and until the second apple thought that is what it was.

He has no health issues. He's the healthiest kid I've got. Aside from mild intermittent asthma that only acts up when he's already sick, and the H1N1 nightmare last year he's fine.

It is really odd. He reacts to a nectarine which I can maybe see because those aren't common for our household. But then he eats an apple a couple days later and is fine. A couple days later, the evening of the skin testing he eats an apple and has a reaction...

Thanks,

Angela

Julie,

He tested positive for all tree pollens and for all 13 fruits they tested him for. He did not react to grasses, pet dander, etc. They tested the pollens, grasses and dander one day and the fruits two days later.

I wonder about the skin thing. I cannot handle peeled fruit, it breaks me out but I can eat it just fine. I thought it would be the same for him, and until the second apple thought that is what it was.

He has no health issues. He's the healthiest kid I've got. Aside from mild intermittent asthma that only acts up when he's already sick, and the H1N1 nightmare last year he's fine.

It is really odd. He reacts to a nectarine which I can maybe see because those aren't common for our household. But then he eats an apple a couple days later and is fine. A couple days later, the evening of the skin testing he eats an apple and has a reaction...

Thanks,

Angela

Very strange. Let us know what the blood work shows and if it ever happens again. I'm sending positive thoughts your way. Fruit is soooo hard for teenagers to avoid. I'm sure he's thinking why couldn't it be LIMA BEANS????

Keep us posted-

Julie

Had he eaten almonds, pears or taken a vitamin c with rose hips or cut roses in the garden that day? These are all in the apple family. It could have been too much in the same family and the reaction flared because of it. My husband has asthma too and is allergic to these things too. If he only has one thing in that family, spaced out - he can do it. But too much in that family too often - asthma and allergic symptoms.