Catecholamine/metanephrine Test Question

Can't go into detail because it was a really bad day and I feel like crud but need some info.

Saw a Neuro today who basically won't and didn't do anything but did order a 24 urine Metanephrine test.

I was trying to get a diagnosis and/or tests for PAF, Autonomic Neuropathy, Small Fiber, or the Autonomic Ganglionopathy and was basically told it wasn't her area.

I asked for Catecholamine tests and was told that the Metanephrine test was more thorough and was told I was wrong that the Cat tests include Dopamine and is more thorough for Dysauto problems and looking for PAF.

So I now have an order for the 24 hour urine Metanephrine test.................Is this test going to show anything at all??? It's similar to the Cat tests so if my levels are high or low does it indicate the same things as would high or low Cat results?? Or is this totally pointless?

Also while looking up the difference I see that you are supposed to avoid certain foods like bananas, vanilla, and chocolate, and meds for several days in advance, has anyone else done this prior to having their Catecholamines tested???

Thanks for any help and I'll try to go into more detail when I can.

Sorry I haven't been posting but I've been steadily declining and the computer is very hard on the eyes.

Hi, not sure where you live. I know a doc that will do most of these tests and he is a neuro. Not all neuro's are equal, you need find one that specializes in treating autoimmune neuropathy. It is obvious from the doctors response she does not understand the labs you requested. The urine mets if abnormal might show you in the right direction, but they alone are not enough.

The test that measures catecholamines in the blood is a tricky test, you do have to make sure you don't eat or take in certain foods and drugs prior to it. I think if you google labtests.com they have pretty good list on how to prepare. The plasma catecholamines must be done lying down and then standing. At least a half hour of lying down no talking or moving, be very quiet and still, before the blood draw, bring a blanket if you get cold easy. Don't talk to the tech when they come into do it either. The two tests are then compared to see if there is a difference. My supine epinephrine was elevated and my norepinephrine almost tripled on standing, had no measureable dopamine. Yes, you are correct this test does measure all of those. If norepinephrine jumps over I think 600 you are considered hyperandregenic. Norephinephrine causes you blood vessels to contract bringing the blood back up to your brain, when your vessels fail to do so on their own. Not sure what it means if they are low, think the labtests.com discusses that. Hope this helps, let me know if you need further info.

Can't go into detail because it was a really bad day and I feel like crud but need some info.

Saw a Neuro today who basically won't and didn't do anything but did order a 24 urine Metanephrine test.

I was trying to get a diagnosis and/or tests for PAF, Autonomic Neuropathy, Small Fiber, or the Autonomic Ganglionopathy and was basically told it wasn't her area.

I asked for Catecholamine tests and was told that the Metanephrine test was more thorough and was told I was wrong that the Cat tests include Dopamine and is more thorough for Dysauto problems and looking for PAF.

So I now have an order for the 24 hour urine Metanephrine test.................Is this test going to show anything at all??? It's similar to the Cat tests so if my levels are high or low does it indicate the same things as would high or low Cat results?? Or is this totally pointless?

Also while looking up the difference I see that you are supposed to avoid certain foods like bananas, vanilla, and chocolate, and meds for several days in advance, has anyone else done this prior to having their Catecholamines tested???

Sorry I haven't been posting but I've been steadily declining and the computer is very hard on the eyes.

Hi AZ Girl,

Thanks for the info, I tried to send you a PM but your inbox is full, can you PM me with more info for your Doc. Thanks!

Hi, not sure where you live. I know a doc that will do most of these tests and he is a neuro. Not all neuro's are equal, you need find one that specializes in treating autoimmune neuropathy. It is obvious from the doctors response she does not understand the labs you requested. The urine mets if abnormal might show you in the right direction, but they alone are not enough.

The test that measures catecholamines in the blood is a tricky test, you do have to make sure you don't eat or take in certain foods and drugs prior to it. I think if you google labtests.com they have pretty good list on how to prepare. The plasma catecholamines must be done lying down and then standing. At least a half hour of lying down no talking or moving, be very quiet and still, before the blood draw, bring a blanket if you get cold easy. Don't talk to the tech when they come into do it either. The two tests are then compared to see if there is a difference. My supine epinephrine was elevated and my norepinephrine almost tripled on standing, had no measureable dopamine. Yes, you are correct this test does measure all of those. If norepinephrine jumps over I think 600 you are considered hyperandregenic. Norephinephrine causes you blood vessels to contract bringing the blood back up to your brain, when your vessels fail to do so on their own. Not sure what it means if they are low, think the labtests.com discusses that. Hope this helps, let me know if you need further info.