Dr. Goodman--mayo Clinic

FYI for anyone interested on this site. There have been recommendations in the past and kind words expressed about Dr. Goodman at Mayo. Just wanted to let you guys know that he is leaving to go back to Scottsdale in a couple of weeks and will be leaving the Mayo Clinic Rochester area so he is not taking any new patients in MN.

I am going crazy and driving my nice doctors crazy with my symptoms and their lack of knowing what to do.... I would love to hear more about this doc........is this doc neuro? cardiology? or something else? I can fly to see him if he is taking new patients in a practice he ?plans to open in Scottsdale......wow that would be great if he knows about this kind of thing..... It would only be a short plane trip to go there from CA.....

thank you

I've seen Dr. Goodman in Scottsdale (I live in Tucson) and then followed him to Rochester when he went there about 1 1/2 years ago. He's a neurologist with a subspecialty in autonomic disorders, including POTS. He's very kind and caring, and even when I've called him up to a year later in Rochester, he returned my calls promptly. He's at the Mayo Clinic in Scottsdale. Since he just moved back, he should be pretty easy to get in to see, especially if you have a referral from your doctor. I don't know if he's started yet, but if not, it should be soon. I'll be going back to see him now.

The good thing about Mayo Clinic is that when you're there, you can be referred to other departments/doctors in a short time...Like I was referred to a cardiologist and scheduled for several tests after our initial consult. Some tests were scheduled before I saw Dr. Goodman. They know you're usually travelling, so they try to get you in within the week or so for all of your tests/appointments. I think we had 7 days worth of testing done, with one 'down' day. You can also go to the department and try to get in earlier, if there's a cancellation or they can work you in that day.

I know some people have had negative experiences there, but I've only had positive ones, and the staff is very friendly and accommodating. If you need further info/help, PM me.

Cheers,

Jana

Thank you very much -- I'm going to see my primary on this Tuesday and ask her what she thinks -- about a referral -- also may ask the cardiologist how he feels about me going there. Around here with me they just kind of act like -- yeah, so it's difficult -- no we cannot do anything about it -- so why go through more tests....labile B/P and tachycardia -- get used to it.... I kinda think when it's disabling they should have more interest -- as in I used to work 12 hour shifts on my feet and now can barely work 4 hours without a mandatory laying down to recover type scenario.... I feel there may be something someone could suggest....I do believe worse come to worse my pain mgmnt. doc would refer me -- he's been my rock really -- he does more in just listening to this unraveling tale of changed functioning in life after some major surgeries than any pill has done thus far. I have hypermobility syndrome and they often get these crazy cardiovasculare symptoms I've read.... I'll check back in here after I see what my group of doc's here think about me seeing Dr. Goodman - I'll also see how my insurance deals with Mayo Clinic ---- Your response is so so appreciated - :-)

I just spoke to the scheduler for Dr. Goodman in Scottsdale and if you need to get an appt. to see him it sounds like now's the window to do so. When I told her I was a new patient needing help for dysautomia symptoms she told me that Mayo neuro doesn't do that any longer. I insisted that they did and Dr. Goodman is the man... She then looked into things further and found that she was not kept up to date -- She read that yes now he is back and you can schedule for dysautonomia type issues. She found it crazy she didn't know this -- said he used to be neuromuscular, then general neuro, then dysautomia -- and the appts. I guess are booked accordingly -- She said it was very unusual for me to not have to wait up to 6 mos. or even a year to see him. But something else must have happened -- that was the move from Rochester I guess.... She had to book me under a certain type of appt. I guess to have it work -- which of the three I have no idea..........but anyway if this is helpful to anyone - good!