Blood Pooling In Legs

Kelly

Hi all,

I was just wondering if anyone has had or is having the same problem as me. Im having a bad time with my POTS lately and over the past couple of days my legs have been really aching, in fact they really hurt. I know that us POTSies have blood pooling in the feet put could the pain in my legs be due to blood pooling? Has anyone else had this? The pain seems to be more in my thighs than calfs, which is where i would assume the blood would usually pool. It really really hurts :-(

Thanks for any comments and hope the weather isn't making everyone suffer!

Kelly

xx

I'm sorry you're hurting.

Does it seem like activity helps any?

I'm just wondering if your muscles would help pump that blood up to your heart.

I know you can't stay in constant motion.

Please ignore this if it is not helpful I guess I just have this desire to help even when I really don't know what to say.

Thank you for your reply, no it seems that that nothing will help, I have tried to do a bit of exercise around the house but to be honest, Im feeling so grotty at the moment that I have little energy or motivation to do it, which is silly I know, I suppose Im asking for trouble. I will try though!! Thank you x

they do make thigh high compression hose

TEDS?

Not sure if something like that would help or even panty hose?

I hate panty hose.

They have always bothered me across my tummy.

Just going to church by the time I got home I would be miserable and so I started to buy queen size panty hose just so they weren't so tight.

I wonder if spandex would help?

Do you wear any compression stockings? Sometimes those can help. I have waist high ones and I like them much better because the thigh high ones just do not stay up for me and it gets uncomfortable under jeans and stuff when you can't really adjust them lol. I know when I'm sitting or standing certain days my feet will get bright red in a matter of minutes. The stockings definitely help with that.

I had severe pooling of blood in my lower extrems when my pots was really bad. The thing that helped me was Lexapro and doing leg weights. If you don't feel you can do the wts yet try at least doing calf raises. Compression stockings helped a bit too.

Guest tearose

Compression pantyhose help tremendously!! I don't feel the heat even in the summer unless the temp reaches near 100. Then I would spray the hose with water and it immediately feels refreshing. (I think I feel the air, not the water.)

Anyway, try elevating your legs when they hurt. Massage upwards, not downwards.

I do understand how some people can't tolerate the compression hose but I found out a couple of things that may help you.

First, all compression is not made the same. I was itchy and miserable in the more affordable Jobst hose...which I came to learn had a higher fabric content of synthetic fiber. The costly JUZO brand are so much better on my legs!!! They have a higher natural fiber content.

Also, getting into these hose is an aerobic workout :blink: If you lightly dust your legs and torso with baby powder, sit on the floor and slowly work to get into them and then, allow time for your body to adjust because they will make the fluids "rise" over time. It takes me time and patience but it is so very worth it. I hope it works for you too.