Tachycardia, Cfs, Ebv - Research

I am still looking into what might be underlying my IST and CFS and have always suspected having had glandular fever (EBV) was somehow relevant.

Some research from 2007 fits with my profile, apart from my hypotension. I was interested to find research that is specific to tachycardia which is my worst symptom.

Anyway, I am posting this in case it is of interest to anyone else.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Lerner AM, Deeter RG, O?Neill W, Dworkin HJ, Zervos M, Beqaj, SH, Chang CH, and Fitzgerald JT. ?Cardiac and virologic issues? pp 304-330 from Handbook of Chronic Fatigue Syndrome. Jason LA, Fennell PA, and Raylor RR. John Wiley & Sons, Inc.

We describe studies spanning over a decade which support the paradigm that CFS is a prolonged infectious mononucleosis due to Epstein-Barr virus, cytomegalovirus or the two viruses in co-infection. This paradigm suggests that CFS patients?own immune defenses prevent complete virus formation, and that only parts of the virus?genetic material are expressed. Cardiac involvement leads to rapid heart pumping at rest (tachycardia) and eventually cardiac muscle pump weakening. Specific antiviral treatment has led to remarkable sustained improvement in CFS patients so that criteria for the diagnosis of CFS are no longer present. Medical testing by Holter monitoring, MUGA, nuclear stress testing, cardiac biopsy, virus serologic tests and disappearance of symptoms of CFS support this paradigm.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

http://iv.iiarjournals.org/content/21/5.toc

Abstract 1

Experimental Studies:

A. MARTIN LERNER,

SAFEDIN H. BEQAJ,

ROBERT G. DEETER,

and JAMES T. FITZGERALD

Valacyclovir Treatment in Epstein-Barr Virus Subset Chronic Fatigue Syndrome: Thirty-six Months Follow-upIn Vivo September 2007 21:707-713

Abstract

Full Text (PDF)

Abstract 1 of 1Experimental Studies

Valacyclovir Treatment in Epstein-Barr Virus Subset Chronic Fatigue Syndrome: Thirty-six Months Follow-up*

Background: We hypothesized that subset classification of Epstein-Barr virus (EBV) in chronic fatigue syndrome (CFS) is required. At first, a blinded-random placebo-controlled trial of valacyclovir in EBV CFS subset was performed (Group 1), and this EBV subset was followed for thirty-six months (Group 2). Patients were given valacyclovir at 14.3 mg/kg every 6 hours. The validated Energy Index (EI) point score assessing physical functional capacity, Holter monitor, multigated (radionuclide) MUGA rest/stress ventriculographic examination, EBV serum IgM viral capsid antibodies (VCA), and EBV early antigen diffuse (EA) were followed. After six-months, Group 1 CFS patients receiving valacyclovir experienced an increased mean least square EI point score +1.12 units (122 kcal/day), while the placebo cohort increased +0.42 EI units (65 kcal/day). EI point scores at Group 2 increased progressively. Sinus tachycardias decreased and abnormal cardiac wall motion improved. Serum antibody titers to EBV VCA IgM decreased. Patients resumed normal activities.

There are studies on CFS linking it with all sorts of ongoing infections, toxins, leaky gut, gluthione depletion, imflammation, nueropeptide Y, Vitamin D deficiency, lactic acid building, increased brain lactate levels, celiac disease, breakdown of methylation cycle, disfunctional Rnals activity, T1 T2 immune cell inbalance, sympathetic overactivity, and all sorts of other things.

Bigger studies demonstrated no universal infection in patients with CFS - other than perhaps XMRV but that is still up in the air.

You can find something linking it to all sorts of things - its intensely studied now days, but these studies are usually published in fairly poorly regarded publications and generally only prove through selective research the opinion of the author on the etiology of CFS.