Reference Range For Blood Histamine?

Chaos

I've been trying to find a normal reference range for blood histamine levels. Does anyone here know one? I must not be putting in the correct terms when I search because I'm not getting any specific numbers for a range.

Thanks,

Cheri

Clinical Significance:

Histamine is a imidoamine found in normal tissues, blood, and in the urine. It is the only pre-formed spasmogenic mediator produced primarily by the pulmonary mast cell. It is generated by decarboxylation of the amino acid Histidine. It is eluted by exchange with sodium when exposed to extracellular fluid. Histamine reacts with H1 and H2 receptors on target cells. H1 receptors mediate smooth muscle contraction, vasopermeability, mucus release, bronchoconstriction, changes in cardiac rhythm, and generation of Prostaglandins. H2 receptor mediated actions include mucus secretion, stimulation of gastric acid, increased cellular cAMP, stimulation of suppressor lymphocyte function, and bronchodilation. Increased levels are found in urticaria, asthma, anaphlylaxis, and mastocytosis. Its release is inhibited by Vasoactive Intestinal Polypeptide and Cimetidine.

Reference Range:

Up to 100 ng/dl.

Procedure:

Histamine is measured by direct radioimmunoassay.

Patient Preparation:

Patient should not be on any anti-Histamine medication, if possible, for at least 48 hours prior to collection of specimen.

Specimen Collection:

3 ml serum or EDTA plasma should be collected and separated as soon as possible. Freeze specimens immediately after separation. Minimum specimen size is 1 ml.

Special Specimens:

For tumor/tissue and various fluids (i.e. CSF, peritoneal, synovial, etc.), contact the Institute for requirements and special handling.

This is from one of the testing sites. Reference intervals will change from lab to lab. Your lab printout should show that lab's reference intervals. Plasma histamine can change dramatically depending on when and why it is drawn and what you have eaten. It can also be null by poor specimen handling.

Thanks so much. I knew you all would come thru yet again. So I guess my 1128 number WAS high.

I really appreciate the info!

Cheri

I had not eaten any of the things listed. I have some mild seasonal allergies but not enough that the doctor was willing to consider shots until I brought up the possibility of MCAD.

Julie- I went to the tmsforacure site that you've recommended in other posts. I printed out the symptoms of MCAD and highlighted 19 of the 28 lines as being definite symptoms I've had and 3 which haven't been diagnosed but I suspect. Following a suggestion you made to another post, I decided to try the zantac/zyrtec regimen you had mentioned. I was amazed by how much better my energy was... until I decided I felt so much better and walked my "old" 4 mile route and ended up back in bed for 3 days.... but overall have felt much better on the regimen.

This is the first year I haven't had horrendous GI problems in the spring. I was starting them as usual at the end of Feb. Decided to try your suggestion and have been truly amazed at how much better I've been feeling overall. Saw my GI doc this morning and he at least has a working knowledge of MCAD and ANS stuff. He was pleased with what I was doing and said to keep it up.

So once again... THANK YOU so much to all of you who take your time to help educate those of us who are new(er) to this whole process and are willing to share your knowledge and research to help us be advocates for our own health.

And yes, a sarcastic font would be a GREAT addition. :)

I'm thrilled with your improvement! My son is also taking MCAD meds (per his Hopkins docs) without an official DX. It's not a miracle cure, but definite improvement. More and more ANS docs are empirically recommending this if symptoms/labs warrant.

The World Health Organization (WHO) is hammering out uniform diagnostic criteria for MCAD, in the hopes of ultimately making DX easier for sufferers.

Consider going back to www.tmsforacure.org and participating in an on-line survey that will go directly to the WHO docs. They are asking for patient experiences. Anyone with MCAD symptoms is welcome to participate. This is our chance to educate these top docs.

I've got my fingers and toes crossed that your improvement continues.

Julie

Consider going back to www.tmsforacure.org and participating in an on-line survey that will go directly to the WHO docs. They are asking for patient experiences. Anyone with MCAD symptoms is welcome to participate. This is our chance to educate these top docs.

I've got my fingers and toes crossed that your improvement continues.

Julie

I will definitely do the survey.

Thanks for the good wishes. Hope your son continues to progress as well. You're right. It's not a miracle cure but it has definitely helped move me in the direction I want to be going. And, I really can't tell you how grateful I am for that!

Cheri

Chaos - how long after starting Z/Z did you start to notice a difference?

Hi issie-

have you taken zyrtec before without a problem? I ask because a very small segment of the population has an extreme sedating response from it even though it is touted as "non-drowsy." If you know you tolerate it well, take 10mg in the AM. If it makes you drowsy, take it at night.

I take zantac or generic ranitidine in the AM also. I have severe GERD, so I take 300mg. Lots who use it to just calm mast cells can take a lesser dose, 150mg. My son's GERD is so extreme that he takes Nexium in the AM and ranitidine in the afternoon.

The trick is to regularly take both an H-1 (zyrtec, claritin, allegra) and an H-2 (zantac, ranitidine) on a regular basis every day. Let us know if it helps you. I'm crossing my fingers.

Julie