Weird Gag Like Symptom

smiles

I am having the strangest episodes when I have a flare up. I am now on a an anti-convulsive med (Lamictal) which has stopped my convulsive activity but my muscle contractions during my flare ups are extreme now instead of moderate. I have found that 1/4-1/2 of a 10 mg muscle relaxer quickly stops the episodes. Which is good cuz the convulsions used to last up to an hour or more if they were real bad.

My weird symptom now is that during the muscle contractions I have some sort of muscle contraction in my throat. I look and sound like I am going to throw up but I don't feel like I am going to and am not sick to my stomach. It is difficult to explain what it looks like. It has got to sound terrible to those around me. It's like I am gagging on nothing. I guess it is more like a gag reflex. It starts like a little cough and then gets stronger and more gag like. If we don't catch it quickly and medicate or if it hits real fast, then it turns into looking like I am going to throw up but just gagging real hard. Makes my eyes water.

This craziness happened again last night. I started my period yesterday too and I know this flare up was from that!

Anyone else with these symptoms or happen to know why my body is being so obnoxious.

smiles

I look and sound like I am going to throw up but I don't feel like I am going to and am not sick to my stomach. It is difficult to explain what it looks like. It has got to sound terrible to those around me. It's like I am gagging on nothing. I guess it is more like a gag reflex. It starts like a little cough and then gets stronger and more gag like. If we don't catch it quickly and medicate or if it hits real fast, then it turns into looking like I am going to throw up but just gagging real hard. Makes my eyes water.

I have episodes where all of a sudden I feel like I am choking on my saliva. Is a choking sensation and a gagging sensation the same?

I have also choked on my own saliva. That is actual choking which eventually clears by itself or sends me into an autonomic flare up. Those are really hard on my body. They happen only a few times a year, mostly just randomly. Yuck!

This gagging thing is not from anything being in my throat and not associated with eating or drinking. (Neither was the choking on my own saliva.)

This gagging thing comes only when the muscles in the rest of my body begin to tense and contract. I have a strange feeling right before it all happens.

Had another problem this morning but w/o the gagging issue. All I did was sit up and whammmo- autonomic craziness.

I have also choked on my own saliva. That is actual choking which eventually clears by itself or sends me into an autonomic flare up. Those are really hard on my body. They happen only a few times a year, mostly just randomly. Yuck!

This gagging thing is not from anything being in my throat and not associated with eating or drinking. (Neither was the choking on my own saliva.)

This gagging thing comes only when the muscles in the rest of my body begin to tense and contract. I have a strange feeling right before it all happens.

Had another problem this morning but w/o the gagging issue. All I did was sit up and whammmo- autonomic craziness.

Smiles-

You poor kitty! I adore cats and your description just reminds me of a cat with a horrid hairball.

But, ya know, you are absolutely right about the choking leading off to an autonomic flare up. These things are so so weird I never put the pieces together. Several years back, the doctor did a swallowing study but that showed nothing, of course.

From your post it is easy to picture 'Autonomic Craziness' written on the outside edge of a Frisbee made by the Whammo corp. - But we never know when this frisbee will come out of nowhere and knock us off our feet or hit us in the gut or choke us or smack, us in the head,etc. Enough to make you paranoid.

I hope you get some answers soon.

{{hugs}}

noreen

Thanks Noreen,

I needed that bit of laughter and encouragement. Yes, I love cats too! I can def see the similarity between me and my cat with a hair ball! Mine is just a bit more violent in nature though. Me with an imaginary hair ball! lol

I loved you frisbee analogy. I also had a swallow study done a few years ago. Thanks for the hugs.

Smiles