Transportation To Doc Appts.

hi everyone,

i hope that this e-mail finds you well.

i live in an area where there are no dysautonomia doctors. because i'm basically homebound, i don't have a support system. my parents are getting older and unable to drive me to far places.

i need to see my pots doctors, but one is 1.5 hours away and one is 3.5 hours away and i would need to stay over night.

does anyone have ideas of places that could help me with the transportation? i know that i would be very expensive, considering i'm paying for a couple of days of someone's time, plus the hotel room. unfortunately, i'm not affiliated with any religious organization right now, so volunteers there wouldn't be helpful.

thank you so much for the suggestions,

kit

I recommend getting in touch with local council disability services and with local "help the aged"/disabled groups etc. They will know companies which supply good car services to people in your area. I found a solution through a Disability Aid group who knew a wheelchair motobility car and van service so would be familiar with my needs. I got a lovely comfortable saloon and a driver who was endlessly helpful and understood my problems. It was expensive of course but not nearly as expensive as the same sort of service provided by Saga. I found it was easy to explain my needs as similar to driving a 90 year old around - many of the same dilemmas crop up.

I also had hotel, few days recovery from journey, a day doing what I had come to do, few more days recovering from what I had to do. Then, at home weeks getting over it all !! So yes, with hotel and travel costs it all adds up to quite a lot of money.

Good luck.

Hi kit,

I would definitely try Griffin's idea first. It sounds ideal.... but if that doesn't work out, I would not hesitate to contact a church close to you to see if someone there could help. Many churches are happy to help people in need whether they are affiliated or not. I have known of times in my own church were people in situations similar to yours were driven to distant appointments, no strings attached. You could ask if you were comfortable with that.