Allergic Reaction Or Panic Attack Or What?

jenwic

I have asthma and have noticed that some foods make me a little wheezy. I try to avoid those foods. A couple of years ago I noticed that after I ate some peanut butter fudge I felt a little wheezy. Ever since then I have avoided peanuts just to be on the safe side.

On Tues, Mom had me over to eat and she had fried potatoes. I ate a couple and commented that they were good. She said she fried them in peanut oil. I calmly said, "Mom, didn't I tell you I was trying to avoid peanuts?", but inside I was freaking out thinking, now what? Just a few minutes later I started having this huge adrenaline rush feeling and my heart started racing and pounding. Next, I started feeling all weak and trembly. I ended up taking 4 teas. of Benadryl. I felt bad the rest of the afternoon (from the attack or too much Benadryl which can also make my heart race? I don't know)

Today I called my allergist who said it was highly unlikely that I had a reaction to the peanut oil because it is refined which takes out all the proteins which is the part people are allergic to. She said even people with peanut allergies can eat peanut oil. I found that hard to believe so I looked it up on Wikipedia, which confirmed what she said.

So now I wonder, if it wasn't an allergic reaction what was it? Did I have a panic attack that lasted for a long time? Was it POTS related? Was I coming down with something that just happened to hit, out of the blue, at that moment? (I have been feeling pretty "potsy" and bad since it happened, but off and on. It is a mystery.

Guest tearose

:(:o four teaspoons of Benedryl??? OMG

Sometimes the one dose could be halved in some of us! I think you unknowingly overdosed on that.

It is one of those reverse reactions we can get.

Hang in there and next time, start with a half teaspoon first.