Beta Blockers And Rash?

DizzyMe

Hi everyone,

I started on a low dose of beta blocker(bisoprolol) 3 days ago and have developed a rash(small raised bumps and itchy)across the back of my neck.

I don't know if it could be a reaction to the beta blockers or not.

has anyone has this kind of side effect with them?

I am waiting for a call back from my cardiologist with advice on whether to take more or not, but thought I would post here in the meantime.

Thanks.

Melanie.

Hi Melanie,

I did not develop a rash immediately after starting a BB, but a couple of months after, when summer hit, I went outside in the sun for about 15 minutes and developed a rash on all the areas that were exposed to the sun - just as you described.... small, red, itchy bumps. After it happened the second time, I realized I had developed a sun sensitivity from the BB. I am fair skined, and burn easily anyway, but I never had the itchy bumps until starting the BB. Any chance you got some sun on the back of your neck?

Summer

Hi Summer,

Yes could be as I did spend time outdoors during the 3 days although my hair was covering the area.I'm not usually sun sensitive but maybe while my body is adjusting. Did the sensitivity calm down eventually?

Thanks for responding.

Melanie.

Did the sensitivity calm down eventually?

The rash happened several times before I started being very careful about sun exposure. As I said, I've always burned easily, but the BB seemed to make it worse, along with the rash.

I did find that if I was careful to cover my skin, or wear sun screen, the rash did not appear. The BB really helped me, so it was worth it to me to take the extra precautions so I could continue taking it. I don't do well in summer heat, so I don't spend a lot of time outdoors in the summer anyway ...at least not in the afternoon when the sun is the strongest.

It would be strange, though, for you to develop the rash on the back of your neck if your hair was covering it. The sun rash I had was basically everywhere the sun hit my skin ...arms, legs, neck, upper chest. It had well defined borders along the edges of my clothing. Maybe yours is not from the sun. Was it hot outside? Could it be a heat rash?