Back Problems And Pots

I recently posted about what I thought was pain in my SI joint, then I thought it was my hip acting up, but now it seems to be my lower lumbar facet joints. It's been 6 weeks since the pain started, and there is a 3 inchx3 inch area of swelling over the left side of my L5-S1 still. I don't remember even doing anything to re-inure my back. I'm icing, taking advil, walking, doing McKenzie exercises, and taking vicodin very sparingly. The inflammation is pressing on my S1 nerve roots, causing coldness, weakness and diminished achille's reflexes, especially on the left. The pain also goes into my groin and into my big toe on the left.

I saw my PCP today and she said she'd try me on a course of predisone but she doesn't know how my POTS would react. I told her I'd taken 2 10-day courses a few years ago and did fine. But she wants to start with flexeril and physical therapy, and to take more pain meds (except I told her I am not going to take more than I take now because I have so much pain continually, I want the meds to work properly on the really bad days).

She said the next step (if PT doesn't help) is a pain management referral evaluation and possible injections. Yikes! I've had 6+ injections for hip injuries. I don't want any more radiation, but I know that we also really need to get this inflammation under control. Personally, I'd rather take the systemic prednisone first than have another injection.

I've had back pain since a car accident in 2006. I had 2 hip surgeries, limped for 2 years, and all the limping really stressed out my lower back. I'm only 36.

So I was just putting on my 30-40mmHg compression hose, and I'm sure the bending and pulling is just GREAT for my back! :blink: Also, I cannot lie comfortably and can't sit without pain either. The only position I tolerate right now is standing up! This back pain is not POTS-friendly!

Anyway, when I think about having to live for another 50 years or so in this body, I just panic! :blink: I hope you don't mind my ranting. :) Thanks guys. B)

Hi Thankful .. i have ordered the serola belt that was talked about in your last posting about si instability , i should get it this week , i have constant si and facet pain .. pain inflamation all of thetime and it seems to be apart of me and i have to keep rising above it and plod on regardless, sit for a moment stand for amoment movearound , its getting the balance right, so you can keep a little active ... this is called pacing and they teach this to you at the pain clinics ... i have had arthritis since i was a teenager and it is hard to cope with so i undrerstand your frustrations ...

as you say the med do not continually work and i found that what medications i have had just upset my system and make me feel awful and do nothing for the inflammations ... i keep my fingers crossed and hope it all improves for you soon ....

just wanted to give sympathy. i'm herniated throughout my lower back and am trying to avoid more surgery. like you, i'm in pt, and will have to consider injections, as i have weakness in my legs. standing is better than sitting, but indeed not pots friendly. walking is best, but i can't do my job while walking! getting off now to do another mckenzie pressup.

Thanks, guys. So far the inflammation is limited to my L5-S1 and is linked to my hip surgeries and the limping I did for 2 years. I see the acupuncurist today, and PT on May 4th. We'll see how things go!

Let us know how you make out with the acupuncture.

I'm with you as far as trying a period of prednisone is concerned. It makes sense. When you see the PT you can discuss her/his opinion regards TENS units we've discussed in the past.

One other little thing - I put off my spinal fusion surgery for 2 years by switching to Crocs after reading about them in Arthritis Today magazine. Just a thought.

Wishing you some pain relief soon-

Noreen

just wanted to give sympathy. i'm herniated throughout my lower back and am trying to avoid more surgery. like you, i'm in pt, and will have to consider injections, as i have weakness in my legs. standing is better than sitting, but indeed not pots friendly. walking is best, but i can't do my job while walking! getting off now to do another mckenzie pressup.

Oh man, I'm sorry to hear you're in this boat as well, and even worse off than me because I don't have weakness in my legs at least. Yikes... :)