Well, I Was Afraid Of It But...i'm On Avelox...

The sinus infection still hadn't cleared and now it's moved into my ear. So far I don't know if its working, I haven't felt any better, but it might be because of the Avelox itself. The $50 antibiotic of evil. Because I read about it and asked the pharmacist about it before filling it.

Thirty minutes after taking it I feel dizzy and light headed. My heart starts pounding and I feel like I'm going to faint. I know on some of the older posts here that seems to be a normal for autonomics like us? The only problem is I have to take this or the infection might continue to spread, if its helping it at all. Like I said I'm not sure it's fighting it because I'm not feeling that much better.

I've been so manic lately, especially while on the antibiotic. I don't want to sleep and I want to clean like crazy. I began spring cleaning this weekend and managed to clear out a cabinet I've been meaning to do for months. I'm probably going to move onto the closet soon. And under the bed...

The first day I took the medicine, I started breaking into tears that night for no reason. Is it really supposed to affect you so crazily?

I remember being on Cipro twice in my life, and I'm beginning to wonder if it's not related to the rest of my problems. I started hurting all over the other day, really bad, but since then it hasn't been so bad. I am bruising easily though.

I feel in a bit of a darned if I do, darned if I don't situation... XD

Poppet

Sounds like you definitely need the anti-B. Have you had luck with any others? For instance, I'm allergic to biaxcin & erythromycin, but do fine with zithromax (z-pack.)

Your side effects sound extreme to me. I'd let your doc know & see if s/he can change you to a different med.

Julie

Poppet

Sounds like you definitely need the anti-B. Have you had luck with any others? For instance, I'm allergic to biaxcin & erythromycin, but do fine with zithromax (z-pack.)

Your side effects sound extreme to me. I'd let your doc know & see if s/he can change you to a different med.

Julie

Well, I called them because all day I've been feeling worse. I'm running a temp and have had a worsening sore throat that's now been here to stay for about 24-hrs. It's apparently not working, or if it is, that's one of the 'serious' side effects.

They've tried Z-pak and all the other 'baby' antibiotics as I like to call them. The infection continues to stay and return. It went away with the surgery in December, but returned a week after that and won't go away again. It's almost as if I'm not meant to be well! :3

Hopefully the clinic will call with something else I can take and not have to have me come in. My chest hurts. >.<

Poppet,

All of that sounds really bad. Sinus infections can be serious business. Have you had a CT scan recently to see how extensive this is? I ask, because there are some sinus infections, especially cavernous, that are quite resistant to oral anti-B's. My brother was hospitalized for weeks with one & went home from the hospital with IV anti-B's.

In another post, I encouraged you to try a neti pot with Wilson's Solution (saline & antibiotics.) This is something your doc can call in. It delivers antibiotics directly where you need them with NO side effects.

One last thought, you could have a new viral infection that is worsening your symptoms. That's happened to me a few times while I was in the midst of an acute sinus infection- makes it hard to figure out what's what.

I hope you can switch your antibiotic soon.

Hugs-

Julie

Poppet,

All of that sounds really bad. Sinus infections can be serious business. Have you had a CT scan recently to see how extensive this is? I ask, because there are some sinus infections, especially cavernous, that are quite resistant to oral anti-B's. My brother was hospitalized for weeks with one & went home from the hospital with IV anti-B's.

In another post, I encouraged you to try a neti pot with Wilson's Solution (saline & antibiotics.) This is something your doc can call in. It delivers antibiotics directly where you need them with NO side effects.

One last thought, you could have a new viral infection that is worsening your symptoms. That's happened to me a few times while I was in the midst of an acute sinus infection- makes it hard to figure out what's what.

I hope you can switch your antibiotic soon.

Hugs-

Julie

I've had a sinus infection since July 09. I had the surgery to clear it in December and for about a week I felt wonderful. Then I got a virus again and got sick once again and now it's moved into my ear.

I called the doctor about the fever and sore throat. They called me in a Medrol pack. So I'm going to be on steroids again, hooray.

This life is getting very difficult! :3

Edited to add, I'm afraid to try the washes again now, because the last time I did I got water in my ear and ever since I've had squishies. It's clearing up slowly but I don't want to squish it again.

Steroids- great fun :blink: . Are you able to sleep at all? That's the worst part to me- difficulty sleeping which I need to heal.

I have those squishys all of the time in one of my ears- part of the reason I'm doing the neti pot. I haven't cleared my left ear in over a year. I'm not sure how you got it in your ear, but I know it's all connected. If I'm not breathing correctly, the fluid starts to go down my throat. I have to concentrate & gently blow out the nostril I want the fluid to come out of. Perfecting the neti is an art :blink: .

Keep the Wilson's solution in mind. Mt allergist is from Mayo and has had great luck treating patients with chronic sinusitis using it. In your case, it would be great WITH antibiotics and/or steroids.

I hope you're on the mend soon. Stay on the ground with those 'roids ;) . Keep us posted on your progress.

Hugs-

Julie

Steroids- great fun :blink: . Are you able to sleep at all? That's the worst part to me- difficulty sleeping which I need to heal.

I have those squishys all of the time in one of my ears- part of the reason I'm doing the neti pot. I haven't cleared my left ear in over a year. I'm not sure how you got it in your ear, but I know it's all connected. If I'm not breathing correctly, the fluid starts to go down my throat. I have to concentrate & gently blow out the nostril I want the fluid to come out of. Perfecting the neti is an art :blink: .

Keep the Wilson's solution in mind. Mt allergist is from Mayo and has had great luck treating patients with chronic sinusitis using it. In your case, it would be great WITH antibiotics and/or steroids.

I hope you're on the mend soon. Stay on the ground with those 'roids ;) . Keep us posted on your progress.

Hugs-

Julie

Well, I went to Dr Zia today (neuro) and he tried to put me on Cymbalta for my mood swings since I was asking about uping the Topa and I guess he missed the note where it said I was on a quinolone antibiotic. Also, apparently there's a manufacturing shortage of Cymbalta right now and its $50! So I'll have to talk to him in the morning about how that's not going to work. Gah.

Also, I might have nerve damage but he wanted to do a 'painful' test to make sure and I declined. It's only 'treatable' and not cureable anyway so I don't think I want to be hooked up on electrodes and shocked at random intervals. ;) He did a tuning fork test and was suprised I could still feel the vibration for about a minute and a half with my foot twitching about a minute into it. The whole thing came about because of the lost feeling in a pink patch that appeared on my foot. He blames the Topa and I said it wasn't so bad that I should take a painful test. I do get tingly but I stave that off with alcohol (I didn't tell him that, I forgot. XD)

So all in all...I'm autonomic, autoimmune, rotting out, and have hypersensitive damaged nerves.

HOORAY. I think I'm going to go back to the final battle in my book now and kill some people. [cracks fingers]

Poppet,

If you have had problems with water getting in your ear with a neti pot you may find it easier and more comfortable to use a Neil Med system. It is a squeezy bottle that directs a flow of warm salt solution up your nose. I find it easy to get a steady steam of fast moving water that goes in the right direction. You could put the antibiotic solution into the bottle too. I hope you get some relief soon,

Flop

Well, I went to Dr Zia today (neuro) and he tried to put me on Cymbalta for my mood swings .

So all in all...I'm autonomic, autoimmune, rotting out, and have hypersensitive damaged nerves.

HOORAY. I think I'm going to go back to the final battle in my book now and kill some people. [cracks fingers]

Hey Poppet- Me, too. So we are AARHDN - it'll save a lot of writing on the medical forms.

Aren't the mood swings a little hard to gauge with the anti-b reactions and now the roids? Mood swings were par for the course for me when I was on high dose steroids. Cymbalta might help with nerve pain and it was originally marketed as a pain reliever drug - that is how it was originally prescribed for me. But, I tend to think you are right to wait a bit.

Hope you continue to feell better.

Noreen

Poppet,

If you have had problems with water getting in your ear with a neti pot you may find it easier and more comfortable to use a Neil Med system. It is a squeezy bottle that directs a flow of warm salt solution up your nose. I find it easy to get a steady steam of fast moving water that goes in the right direction. You could put the antibiotic solution into the bottle too. I hope you get some relief soon,

Flop

That's what I use, the squeezy version. :3 It's how the water got in there. My sinuses are really...misshappen... XD