Propranalol Doses

miranda

Hi everyone , I have been having vaso vagal episodes for 7 years now.

was put on propranalol for this a few years ago which helps somewhat.

I was also put on 10mg of amitryline for my migraines.

My problem is , that my neuro says that these pills could be causing my orthostatic hypotention.

I have also gained alot of weight being on these pills.

I usually take 30mg before bed.

and 20mg in the morning.

But wonder if I should take the night time dose ?

how long does it have effect on the body ?

Would I be best just taking a morning dose before leaving the house.

I take 20mg of Propranonol three times a day and Midodrine three times a day. My Midrodrine dose usually goes 10mg/5mg/5mg.

My doctor said the Midodrine helps my BP stay stable while taking Propranonol.

Have you discussed with your Doctor if there is something you can take with your Propranonol if it's helping your other systems?

I don't think my low does of Propranonol made me gain much weight - I'd say 5 pounds? I know it was a bit because I monitor it closely, but I feel bad if it made you gain a lot. <_< I had a Birth Control situation that made me put on weight. No fun!

Let us know if you talk to your Doctor - would love to know what they say about getting your stabilized. :rolleyes:

Propranalol has been known to cause high blood pressure when taken just for regulating irregular blood pressure. I took propranolol because I was having episodes and it worked wonders. And then my blood pressure kept going up for no reason. So I had to change to labetalol because the propranalol was causing me to be hypertensive. Now I will be on high blood pressure medication for the rest of my life thanks to the propranolol.

As far as weight gain goes, I haven't heard about it causing that. I think you meant to say, amitriptyline, and that will cause weight gain, because its an antidepressant used for migraine control. All antidepressants in some form will cause you to gain weight because of how they work: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amitriptyline