Beta Blocker And Skin Problem

Amber

I've posted about this before with no luck but wanted to try again to see if anyone else noticed skin breakouts after beginning use of a BB....

When I started metoprolol 2 years ago within a month or 2 I began getting this wierd type of acne (all over) that takes forever to heal. It's not really itchy so I don't think its allergic. Noone seems to think there is a connection but none of the treatments my dermatologist has prescribed has worked. I have also noticed that every time I increase my dose my skin gets worse...But I can't really just stop taking my meds to see if my skin clears up to know for 100% certainty.

I want to ask my doc to try switching me to a different BB but with no literature stating that its been seen before I don't know if its likely he will agree....

Anyone have a similar experience?

The only thing I can think of off the top of my head is that perhaps you are developing chilblains? Usually they develop on your feet or hands though, so I guess it depends on where your rash is at. Beta blockers can lower circulation and it may cause chilblains to develop which look like a shiny red bump. They can be itchy or even painful.

Here's some info on them. You can do a google search for some pictures of them.

http://www.patient.co.uk/health/Chilblains.htm