Question..

wareagle

Hello all! Just wanted to ask if anyone has had a simular experience. Since I became ill..actually right before I got ill..I started getting this re-occuring hive on the inside of my left wrist. At first I didn't pay attention..thought it was a bug bite. It does not appear to be allergy related..and it doesn't really follow a pattern of appearence. It does tend to pop up at leaste once a week..usually when I'm going to sleep or waking up. It's a little smaller than a dime and lasts for about an hour then disapears again. Doctors don't really have an answer..other than it's prob. not an allergy. It doesn't really bother me..just seems there must be a connection to my POTS onset..and ongoing illness. Oh, I have been tested for lyme disease..thought maybe it was a tic bite..but it's been neg. on several occasions.

Any ideas would be appreciated...Wishing everyone a wonderful Thanksgiving!!

Michele

Michele:

My daughter,11, is going through the same type of "hive" problem. She is in her worst episode ever right now and started with these "bumps" about a month or so ago. Started with one on her leg.....then it went away. Then came one on her neck and then another and another. Some come and go away. Then some come and get almost a bug bite looking crust on the top of them. She says some of them itch badly and some only itch a little. I took her to the immunologist that she sees and they told me that it was a virus, so we took her home. Two weeks later, she was 7 lbs lighter, (very, very skinny already) and still really sick and was getting more bumps and the ones on her neck had gone away but more replaced them. They did a biopsy. It showed basically nothing. It showed that it was not a virus, a bacteria, a bug bite, or an allergy. They couldn't diagnose what it was caused by.

This past weekend, our friends from S.C. came to see us. Their kids both have dysautonomia just like our kids. Her son also has these same hives. His look just like my daughters except when his goes away, they leave no mark. When my daughters goes away, it leaves a brown looking scar-type mark.

I don't know if this is the same as what you are describing but I am very frustrated with these things........and if they could help us find out something new, it would be great.

Good luck

Linda :)

Thanks for the info. Linda! Sorry your daughter is having problems with this! My "hive" goes away without any left over marks...I've also noticed one on my right leg from time to time. It's just really bizarre..I KNOW it has something to do with this illness..just not sure what. I plan on talking to my doc. again about it..probably one of those things we'll just never have an answer to. :) Oh, one more thought..if it's not bacterial or viral..could it be fungal in nature?

Wishing you and your little one well..have a great Thanksgiving! :P

Michele

Michelle,

I have chronic hives so I can relate. I get them all over my body every night . As far as I know there is no connection to my dysautonomia.

I developed my first case of hives in 1996 after a reaction to Amoxicillan. I stopped the antibiotic but the hives still continued. What is so weird is that I ususally only get them at night.

The only answer I have gotten that makes sense as to why why I get the hives is that my body developed a memory to the Amoxicillan reaction. There seems to be no other reason, I have had allergy tests etc..

Have you recently been on antibiotics or any new med?

GayleP

I first started with the hive about a 1 1/2 year ago..at the time I wasn't on any medications. I haven't changed detergents or anything like that. At first I thought it was my watch..but I haven't worn it in a long time and still get the hive. The only dietary thing that I could think of was Diet Coke. I started drinking it right before I became ill..I stopped about 5 months ago b/c of the sweetener in it..aspartame. Apparently, aspartame can cause a variety of symptoms including most of those experienced with POTS..and it would have explained the hive. Unfortunately I'm still getting the hive and still have POTS..so I don't think that's what it was..they say it usually takes about a month to detox from it and for me it's been a lot longer. My doctor did mention it could be viral..but trying to pin that down would be pretty much impossible. So..it remains a mystery! :blink:

I was told by several docs that some people have chronic hives and will never really know why. It's almost beome the norm for me.

I have found Aveeno lotion or spray helps. I can't really take any meds so I have to use topical lotions.

Hope you figure out what's causing it.

GayleP