Need Articles On Using Ritalin With Pots!

Aquadiva

My daughter still is having such a difficult time concentrating and is falling behind in school. Nothing too bad yet, but it is starting to pile up which adds a lot of stress for her. We called her dr. (pediatrician) and we have an appointment tomorrow to discuss Ritalin again. It sounds like she will be willing to prescribe it, but wants to find out more information before then about starting dose, etc. Any specific information regarding Ritalin or anything else anyone has found helpful for concentration would be much appreciated!

It is really hard for me to convey to her dr. how this is affecting her. Yes, she is still able to go to school, but only because she is so determined. I don't want her to be penalized for being so strong through all of this as it would be much easier for her to just stay home and not go to school.

My daughter still is having such a difficult time concentrating and is falling behind in school. Nothing too bad yet, but it is starting to pile up which adds a lot of stress for her. We called her dr. (pediatrician) and we have an appointment tomorrow to discuss Ritalin again. It sounds like she will be willing to prescribe it, but wants to find out more information before then about starting dose, etc. Any specific information regarding Ritalin or anything else anyone has found helpful for concentration would be much appreciated!

It is really hard for me to convey to her dr. how this is affecting her. Yes, she is still able to go to school, but only because she is so determined. I don't want her to be penalized for being so strong through all of this as it would be much easier for her to just stay home and not go to school.

Hey Aquadiva-

I LOVE your "name." I realize it probably refers to your need to drink oodles of water....but I prefer to think of you as a glam synchronized swimmer :lol:

I'm sorry. I've seen you post before, but I've forgotten how old your daughter is. Regardless, my son is 17 y/o, has been DXed with dysautonomia since age 12. he finds great help with 27mg of Concerta every AM. This has helped with ALL of his symptoms, including difficulty with school work.

I am going to link you to our "bible" from Dr. Peter Rowe at Johns Hopkins. He is our son's pediatrician. It is a general brochure on treating orthostatic intolerance. Keep scrolling to the middle section where Dr. Rowe discusses med options. #3 is Stimulants. I realize this info is a bit old, but still pertinent. My copy is from 2005, but it is word-for-word the same as this copy. Hopefully this will help your ped understand HOW and WHY this helps and will give him or her the idea of titrating up as needed & other prescribing tips.

My son started on Adderall. He is quite thin and has difficulty eating sometimes. He had to stop that one because his appetite was greatly affected. Concerta was the one we finally settled on. It's time released (I think!) and has helped dramatically. It helps him feel much less lightheaded too.

Here's the link:

http://www.pediatricnetwork.org/medical/OI/johnshopkins.htm

Let us know how the appt. goes.

All the best-

Julie

Thanks Julie!! I haven't looked at it, but it sounds like it is EXACTLY what I am looking for, and I can't wait to read it. I just wanted to thank you first. My daughter is 17 also. She can fight the fatigue to a point, but the brain fog and dizziness are another story. She had a really good year or so of relatively no symptoms, but now it is back and we just don't want to go back to the point of not being able to function at all like 2 years ago.

Oh, and by the way, DEFINITELY the synchronized swimmer--but don't forget the nice swim cap!! :rolleyes:

Edited by flop
Quotation removed, please use the "add reply" button at the bottom of the page