Whats Going On With My Mitral Valve?

Amber

I have been very POTSY lately (which I may go into further in another post) and I've also noticed I can't hear my Mitral valve prolapse anymore. Does anyone know if there is a connection? I asked my doc today why we can't hear it now and he said something about the valve stiffening up with age ( I'm 36) and so its quiet. Does that mean anything in terms of symptoms or severity or is it probably a coincidence that I'm having so much trouble right now? I can't catch my breath with even mild exertion, I am constantly nauseus and near-syncope when I move around and my cardiologist had to double my BB dose again because I am so tachy. Chest pain, white as a sheet, heart pounding so hard my teeth hit eachother......Needless to say I'm back using my wheelchair... 8 (

My poor GP is so perplexed by me.......He's like a deer in headlights everytime I come in......

Hi Amber-

My MVP has come and gone over the years. After my son was born, and my symptoms were bad, the murmur was obvious and easily seen via ultrasound. Now, it is not heard & gone on ultrasounds too. The fact that your symptoms are worse NOW has to be a clue. There is something to it improving with age. When the valve is prolapsed it's wide open and floppy. As we age, it does stiffen and firm up....but WHY are your symptoms so prominent NOW. This seems like a good question for a cardiologist or electrophysiologist.

Let us know what you find out.

Julie

"Whats Going On With My Mitral Valve?"

Indeed. That was my favorite Judy Blume novel as a yute.

It does sound like an advanced question and also a subtle clue. I agree, it seems like stepping this up to a cardio or two is best. Maybe taking a look-see with ultrasound or the doppler thing can show some evidence of a development? Seems like a GP should refer this out without much resistance (or have done so already). Maybe there is something better to be done eventually other than just more of the existing med?