Thought My Lip Was Swollen - But I Think It Is A Cold Sore!

Well, I thought something was up and couldn't figure out why only one half of my upper lip was somewhat swollen. A few Benadryl later and nothing changed and it only hurt more and stayed puffy.

I took a good look (and poked more than I should, I know, I know)...and I think it's a COLD SORE. I've never had a cold sore in the middle of my lip. I think I've had one here and there over the years in the corner. But nothing like this one right smack on my upper lip.

I bought some Abreva and don't know what else to do. I have to get this thing down and it hurts. And I'm not sick with a cold/flu...any clues what causes one of these things to pop up? :o

Once you have caught the cold sore virus (it is a human herpes virus or HHV) it lies dormant in the nerve ending that goes to your lip. At certain times the virus re-activates and causes a cold sore. It is most likely to re-activate when your immune system is low (ie when your body is stressed). A classic example is when you are fighting off a cold, hence the name cold sore.

In the UK you can buy anti-viral creams (eg Zovirax) from the pharmacy or get anti-viral tablets on prescription to help clear up the sore.

Hope you feel better soon,

Flop