Losing Night Vision?

ana_22

Last night i had something really weird happen to me. I was going to bed and turn bed my lamp off and i felt like i was blind in one eye. My right eye could 'see' in my dark room (as there was a bit of moonlight coming through my window) but my left eye was not registering.

When covering my right eye all i could see with my left was darkness and just a tiny bit of moonlight.

i put my lamp back on and compared the differences and both eyes were fine. i then got up and went to check out the pupils in the mirror but they were the same size.

i wen back to bed and turned my lamp off and the left was still giving me a darker picture but not as bad and eventually it came good.

it was really weird....i'm just wondering if this has happened to anyone else and does anyone know what kind of things cause it....is it a pupil thing?

thanks x

Last night i had something really weird happen to me. I was going to bed and turn bed my lamp off and i felt like i was blind in one eye. My right eye could 'see' in my dark room (as there was a bit of moonlight coming through my window) but my left eye was not registering.

When covering my right eye all i could see with my left was darkness and just a tiny bit of moonlight.

i put my lamp back on and compared the differences and both eyes were fine. i then got up and went to check out the pupils in the mirror but they were the same size.

i wen back to bed and turned my lamp off and the left was still giving me a darker picture but not as bad and eventually it came good.

it was really weird....i'm just wondering if this has happened to anyone else and does anyone know what kind of things cause it....is it a pupil thing?

thanks x

I've noticed that for a few seconds when I turn off the light I go 'blind' and I can't register. I panic, my body freaks out and I tend to fall down even if I 'm standing still. So I have to grab something first or be sitting if I'm going to turn out a light. I don't know why this is, but it has been going on since I started the labetalol maybe?

Best to have docs scope it out fully to figure out what might be going on and what to do.

I can say that I've had brief experiences loosely similar to that. But for me it's a pulsing wave thing in my vision which at its worst (very rarely) has diminished vision in one eye. But what I'm talking about is a more commonly described thing (and can even happen to regular folk that get dehydrated/hypoxic). But it's loosely similar and has been more noticeable for me in night vision (making an area or eye seem blind briefly) so I mention it, even though you would have noticed a pulsing if your case was identical to mine.

The best I can describe my "moments of slight night blindness" is that it is somewhat similar to the blindness one gets after intense light exposure... except lacking any such exposure. Like a miscalibrated sensor/transmission or the "calibration" is responding to out-of-whack pressure/oxygen/nutrients supply to something for the vision (retina, nerves, optic cognition). As similar stuff is presumably happening intermittently in less "obvious" areas, this seems like it relates to other weird dysautonomia things and perhaps cognitive challenges too.

For me, I chalk it up to generic "blood/nutrient supply anomalies" (a very broad meaningless brush) and almost a migraine like thing (except I've never had migraine pain... just regular headache at worst... but definitely things that could be migraine/seizure aura stuff). I could imagine something similar might happen for you... or of course it could be totally different! Hard to say, but I can partly relate at least :)

I can't think of anything in the way of advice other than pursuing it with docs as best you can, and of course keeping as much of your body/life within managed margins (consistent hydration/electrolytes, nutrition, steady meds, whatever) to see if that helps avoid episodes. I get my "pulsing stuff" at times I wouldn't expect, such as when otherwise rested, fed & relaxing for sleep... so it's not simple cases of exhaustion/dehydration... more of a "dysregulation" thing. I don't know all the possibilities but seems it could be anything from "just dysautonomia" to painless-migraine/absence-seizure to some serious optic nerve thing... I wouldn't know.