Barrett's Esophagus

erickamcc0523

So, the results of my esophagus biopsy came back today (after an endoscope 10 or so days ago), and I have Barrett's esophagus... I certainly don't fit the demographics of Barrett's patients, as I'm female and 23 years old and most who have it are middle-aged males. I was wondering if anyone else had it, especially someone who doesn't fit the normal demographics of a Barrett's patient, and if possibly there could be a connection? I know that severe GERD is a significant risk factor of developing Barrett's esophagus, and that POTS and hypermobility syndrome has significantly higher incidents of GERD than with the normal population, but does anyone know of other reasons why I might have developed this?

I'm somewhat scared about this diagnosis as I know I have a higher risk of esophageal cancer than the rest of the general population... perhaps not a very big risk, but the longer someone has BE the higher the risk of developing cancer... and I have at least a 20 year head start. Sometimes I really do believe that ignorance is bliss!!!

So, the results of my esophagus biopsy came back today (after an endoscope 10 or so days ago), and I have Barrett's esophagus...

Hi Ericka,

I have noticed that more folk with EDS and GERD seem to end up with this condition, probably due to weaker tissue in the esophagus that is a constant wash with acid from the GERD.

Do you take any thing like 'Gaviscon' to line your gullet, my kids are on this and ppi's to reduce the risk of erosion. They also sleep head raised to help reduce acid backing up.

Anna

I'm sorry you just got that dx added to your already dx. One of my best friends just got that dx and she is grateful that she found out so that she can change her diet now and prevent further dammage. Try to look at it that at least you found out now. My friend should have found out at your age and has been walking around with it for 20 years and is very angry that the last doctor didn't tell her how serious this was.

May you be blessed and I just said a prayer for you that you will be fine knowing the knowledge you know of what not to eat and how to take care of youself and how often to go back to be rechecked.

((((((((((I'm sending you much healing energy and love))))))))))))

BellaMia~

Hi Ericka,

I have noticed that more folk with EDS and GERD seem to end up with this condition, probably due to weaker tissue in the esophagus that is a constant wash with acid from the GERD.

Do you take any thing like 'Gaviscon' to line your gullet, my kids are on this and ppi's to reduce the risk of erosion. They also sleep head raised to help reduce acid backing up.

Anna

I don't currently take Gaviscon right now, but I'll check it out the next time I'm at the pharmacist. I do take a daily Nexium and Prevacid along with Maalox if I do have breakthrough heartburn.

I'm sorry you just got that dx added to your already dx. One of my best friends just got that dx and she is grateful that she found out so that she can change her diet now and prevent further dammage. Try to look at it that at least you found out now. My friend should have found out at your age and has been walking around with it for 20 years and is very angry that the last doctor didn't tell her how serious this was.

May you be blessed and I just said a prayer for you that you will be fine knowing the knowledge you know of what not to eat and how to take care of youself and how often to go back to be rechecked.

((((((((((I'm sending you much healing energy and love))))))))))))

BellaMia~

Thank you so much for the prayers and kind words.... You're right, I am glad that I know now so I can take steps to prevent further damage.... I guess my initial reaction was one of "Oh crap, not again!" I am almost afraid of going to the doctor right now, as I'm afraid that I'm going to get a new diagnosis... but that's not such a bad thing. It's somewhat overwhelming to be diagnosed with 3 diseases since Jan. 8th. Thanks in part to your prayers and kind words, it's not so much right now.

My co-workers son has this diagnosis since he was about 18. He is around 26 now and doing well. He is at a high risk for cancer because of it, but he had surgery to prevent continued damage.

What surgery, do you know, did he have? I'll bring it up to my GI doc at my next appointment.

The surgery is an esophageal wrap, and my Dad had it years ago. They wrap the stomach around the affected part of the esophagus, so that the part of the esophagus becomes part of the stomach. It makes you unable to vomit and you have to get it all checked yearly, but it has essentially cured my Dad. He has to get regular biopsies, but it's been almost 15 years and he is cancer free at this point. I don't know how your dysautonomia effects your esophagus, but you have to have good movement for them to consider the surgery. Good luck!