Emotional Disturbances With Pots??

erickamcc0523

Does anyone also notice that they tend to get somewhat more emotionally distressed and upset when they're having bad brain fog days? I ask because my POTS symptoms, especially the brain fog, was really bad today... I finally made it to school, and to my disgust, there was no close parking spot, and two of the handicap spots were taken by someone with no placard or tag... I got so angry that I seriously considered keying someone's car for a few moments... but thankfully I recognized that was really stupid and the best thing was to go to security to have them take care of it. I really, really hope that they got a really fat ticket or towed for their inconsideration. And if they were indeed handicapped, then they need to do what I and every one who was parked properly did... go to the doc, get the form filled out, and pay the $21 fee for the placard.

In any case, the fit of anger and temptations of vandalism are seriously not within my nature normally... but I've noticed more and more that when my symptoms are at their worse, then I'm at my worse. I need to know if there is anything that I can do about it, and if so what... and if not, then it would be nice to not have to run to the confessional every few days!!!

I have noticed when my physical symptoms are at their worst (e.g. severe hyperventilating, weakness, tremor, tachycardia, etc etc.) I tend to tear up as well. My docs would always ask if I was depressed and I'd say "NO, I'm just so FRUSTRATED!!! I want my life back!!" I think when I'm feeling at my physical worst, my threshold for being able to cope with emotions and frustrations is significantly lowered.

Sorry you were having such a bad day. Hope tomorrow is better for you.

When I'm POTSy I also have hair-trigger emotions, often aggression. I got really scared once when my son was being rambunctiously affectionate when I was not feeling well and I pushed him away much too hard. Remember, it's fight or flight, so it makes sense that your aggressive side would come out. I think that the lack of blood flow to the brain would also contribute to poor emotional judgment. I try to take a deep breathe and sit down if I am really upset. Emotions stir up the whole POTS mess just as much as the physical for me. Think bland. I am a potato...I am bland...I am a potato.... :o

" Think bland. I am a potato...I am bland...I am a potato.... :D"

Too funny firewatcher!! I'm going to be using this one all during my son's basketball game this afternoon!! Up until now I just repeat my mantra of "it's just a game, it's just a game." Your line will give me a good alternative! :)

Totally relate :D unfortunately. I can't tolerate much of anything when I am feeling really bad...I always say I feel like I am being held underwater and just need air and people keep bugging me for stupid things and I freak! It is very hard to be polite and easygoing when one feels like they are dying!!

Thanks Firewatcher for your honesty. I just so identify. My kids come home from school at 3pm and I am really on my way down the whole POTSY road by that time. I have to sit and sometimes not move or talk for a couple of hours like from 3 - 5....my son is always asking tons of questions and my daughter is loud...I struggle to be nice. Noise can send me over the edge when I am in one of my sick spells.

I have also seen I have really had to watch my temper...I get real mad reall fast...I thought it was the stress of everything but it really feels more physically based. I try not to talk when I am getting like that..and I try to forgive myself. It is just challenging and we are all doing the best we can!

Erika

I think this is one of the worst things about POTS. Shoot me in the leg, and I'll be fine. I can deal with pain. It's the social and psychological toll that catches up to me. As a guy, when I get aggressive, its violent. Ive lost SO many friends because of stupid **** Ive done when Im having a POTS day. Even on the good days the anger at myself and others is often too much to bare. I was pretty docile before all this, it deteriorates each month. It gets worse, not better. I know thats not very encouraging, but its been my experience.

I have the same problem. It may have something to do with high levels of norepinephrine that some of us have. Add to the norepinephrine a shot of adrenalin then it can be like adding a match to gasoline. Changes in levels of norepinephrine and high levels of norepinephrine can cause aggression and violence. Google norepinephrine and aggression and you should come up with some interesting stuff. One good summary of an article written by Sarah Haden usually comes on the first page. Also going on orcoming off of norepinephrine increasing antidepressants can cause aggression in some people due to the falling levels of norepinephrine. I didn't want to say that in the thread about cymbalta because I didn't want to discourage someone who might be helped by it just because I had a real bad personal experience when I was taken of cymbalta and started on clonadine.