How Do I Bring Up A Handicap Placard With My Pcp?

iheartcats

Because I moved to another state, I no longer have my handicap placard. I figured I'd 'tough it out' but...I think I need it. On bad days it's hard for me to get done what I have to do. On good days, I didn't use it and that wouldn't change.

How do I bring this up with my PCP? I know he thinks I need to exercise more (and I agree)...but having an awful morning with an appointment and dizzy isn't the best time to be parking far away. I can go on, but you know how it is.

I am regretting losing it. What is the best approach to this?

Depending on the state, you can print off the form for your doctor to fill out (actually, here in TN, the applicant fills out half and the doctor fills out the other half). In Tennessee, the law is that the applicant can't walk 200 feet without assistance or without having to stop to rest. I would google "Handicap placard (insert your state)" and see the exact requirements and to see if you can't get the form. Then I would go ahead and fill out your portion and at your next appointment, take it to your PCP and ask him to fill out the other portion, and explain to him what you explained here... that on good days it wouldn't be used, but there are bad days that you can hardly walk and that it would allow you to get more done. Plus, with my doctor, I mentioned that I was afraid of passing out in a parking lot and not having anyone to find me for a few moments, or even worse, a distracted driver running over me because they didn't see me lying on the ground.

Good luck with getting your placard. On my bad days, I couldn't live without it!

You know. I am afraid of passing out in the parking lot. Or at least having a bad moment (dizzy) from going from sitting in the car to standing up to walking and going down and getting hit. So I think I will just explain that (and the certain days where I can't walk more than X amount without assistance). A seat cane is 'assistance' right? I think I saw cane/walker so that should be OK.

I used to have the 140-160 BPM standing up pre-Midodrine + Beta Blocker. I never seem to be at the doctor's office when those wear off and it kicks up to the 'fun' level!

I don't have a cane or any assistance, but the law here in TN reads something to the effect of not being able to walk 200 feet without either assistance or needing to stop and rest, so depending on your state's laws, you should be alright. I was able to still get my placard without having to use the assistance of a cane or walker; just the fact that I have to lean against random cars and "take a breather", so to speak, is enough.

I'm fortunate that my PCP has seen me pre-POTS and was the first doc to identify my dysautonomia. However, sometimes she still doesn't "get" how debilitating POTS really is. So when I asked her for a handicap placard, she was hesitant at first. Then I explained to her that I have to use the electric carts at the grocery store, use a seat cane when I have to stand in line, and that I try to walk for exercise every day but that there are some days when I need to conserve all my energy. I explained that it takes so much energy to sit and drive to the store that, by the time I get there, I'm not sure how to get my errands done and drive back safely. So she assigned me a 6-month handicap tag. I had to go to the DMV and pick up the papers for her to fill out then I brought it back to the DMV. But there weren't any fees.

Then I was able to get a proper POTS diagnosis at Mayo. When my doctor read the Mayo doc's diagnosis and saw how abnormal my tests were, she assigned me a 4-year tag.

So, I suggest that you put into simple terms how you feel when you have to walk very far, talk about passing out if you use too much energy, and your concern about wanting to work and remain active, but that you have to choose how you expend your limited energy each day. And I think you've shown your doctor your prior diagnoses, so he should know you have a condition that might warrant a handicap tag.

I looked up who qualifies in Oregon for a handicap tag and it included people with a heart condition or who find it hard to walk 200 feet, as well as patients who are missing limbs or who are blind or deaf.