What Does L-methionine Do Exactly? Side Effects?

iheartcats

I've been considering adding a small multi-vitamine (like Flinstone's) and extra Iron. I had too much B6 on a recent check-up so quit my multi, but I think I need to go back to something. Especially iron, Vitamin D, etc. I am up in the air on vitamin usage, but I know Iron has helped me before as I'm borderline anemia a lot.

I read l-methionine isn't found in fruits, veggies, and beans (my main foods). I don't eat much fish at all, and rarely meat and then it is just chicken. No red meat or pork at all.

So what does this do exactly and who has tried it? It looks like its over the counter and I know how to run a 'drug interaction check' with my current meds (and can email my doctor). But if it's benign with other meds, I'm tempted to try. Are there side effects one should watch for?

I take flinstones chewable with iron and I did this on my own and I know it sounds a bit silly but......I am one that is overly cautious half afraid of pills. I seem to be very med sensitive and I've also had difficulty taking some forms of iron even though I'm anemic. They have been really hard on my stomach and I have actually gotten black watery stool that ran right out of me from too much iron. The form of iron in the flinstones doesn't do that and slowed everything down for me rather than causing the stomach irritation.

I have not had any repeat hemoglobin or iron levels so I'm not sure if this is effective in relieving my anemia or not. I have had difficulty with the anemia since my last child but I wasn't faithful with taking a vitamin when these low levels were found. Also my periods come every 3 weeks and are heavy so that's my source of blood loss.

My b12 level and folic acid level were tested and found to be normal. I have also responded to iron therapy and was able to bring it back up in normal range after Hgb being around 8 during that 4th pregnancy.

I tried taking my one a day woman's vitamin the other day and I felt as if I'd keel over about a half hour after taking it. I got a raging case of nausea and woozies in the head. I only weight about 100 pounds so maybe the flinstones is enough for me-I don't know?? I definitely think it's better than nothing.