Severe Hormone Imbalance

MamaTrain

I guess this question is more for the ladies. I was wondering if a severe imbalance of the female hormones can possibly trigger dysautonomia symptoms? I had mine tested and they were horribly low. My doc said that with progesterone levels as low as mine it will cause havoc on the nervous system. He was hesitant to say that this is THE cause of my problems but seemed confident that I should see some improvement. At this point I dont want to get my hopes up but I did read about low hormone levels and it does seem like a possibility, especially when you take into account that when the hormones get that low is puts undo stress on the other glands. What do you all think?? Thanks for reading!

KC

I'm not Dr but for what's it's worth I reckon hormones could cause problems so I'd be pretty excited if I found that out too! I've always suspected mine to be causing me problems before I found out about POTS (had issues with severe pelvic pain episodes before periods in the past). The health-care system here has been so crappy though, I wasn't even referred to an endo. It's something I am going to have to think about pursuing...

I'm not Dr but for what's it's worth I reckon hormones could cause problems so I'd be pretty excited if I found that out too! I've always suspected mine to be causing me problems before I found out about POTS (had issues with severe pelvic pain episodes before periods in the past). The health-care system here has been so crappy though, I wasn't even referred to an endo. It's something I am going to have to think about pursuing...

LL,

I had to see a naturpathic doctor to get the testing done. It is a saliva test where you spit in these little tubes at different times of the day. It was super easy and fast too. I hate to even hope but I am sooooo ready for some relief! Check out seeing a holistic doctor if you cant get anywhere with your regular doctor!

Cheerio!

KC

Jane,

What kind of doctor ordered the test? Did the doctor feel that there is a link between your hormone levels and dysautonomia? What treatment or further tests did (s)he recommend?

She is a chiropractic neurologist. She is not my ordinary dr, she doesn't even live in my state so I am kinda seeing her over the phone/e-mail. She has me taking some 'natural' supplements - PMG. tribulus and ovatrophin. I also had several other tests. She also thinks I have a reaction to gluten, and my adrenals are off. So all of these could have a connection to POTS. But she is not an expert in POTS by any means.

It's too early to tell if the meds are going to help but if they do I will post.

Jane

I have thought that my hormones are off, too, but when they were tested, they were normal... however, they could have been tested at the wrong time of the month. I am in the process of learning how to chart my cycles (the Natural Family Planning method... I'm not planning a family, but it can also be used to find out irregularities in the menstrual cycle) to see if there is a specific time of the month that I am having issues. I know the week before my menses, I have my worst symptoms ever (this past month, I actually thought that I had a stomach virus, as I was vomiting and had a low grade fever, along with all of the exhaustion and being extra tachy). Perhaps if I can find out WHEN I'm having problems, I'll know when to be tested to confirm everything.

I have thought that my hormones are off, too, but when they were tested, they were normal... however, they could have been tested at the wrong time of the month. I am in the process of learning how to chart my cycles (the Natural Family Planning method... I'm not planning a family, but it can also be used to find out irregularities in the menstrual cycle) to see if there is a specific time of the month that I am having issues. I know the week before my menses, I have my worst symptoms ever (this past month, I actually thought that I had a stomach virus, as I was vomiting and had a low grade fever, along with all of the exhaustion and being extra tachy). Perhaps if I can find out WHEN I'm having problems, I'll know when to be tested to confirm everything.

This whole entire time I have been dealing with this I have said to every doctor I see that it does seem to be affected by my cycle. I dont have a period but I still have ovaries so I know when the time is coming. I would be so incredibly dizzy and more everything else bothersome around that certain week! They tested me last year in Feb. and my FSH came back normal. To be considered in menopause it has to be over 20. Mine was 5! I though I was ok. Then my naturpathic doc suggest testing the actual hormones and they came back saying I was post menopause. I did however find that the adrenal play a crucial role in the sex hormones. It could be that I have some adrenal issues. We will test for that this week. I am convinced after reading about it that I am suffering some sort of adrenal fatigue or exhaustion as they call it! I hope you get to the bottom of what is going on with you too. There is a company that will do a month long saliva test. It tests your hormones like every 4 days over a months time. I believe you have to have a provider order it for you. Do you have a good naturpathic doctor near you?

Sounds like this could be a definite possibility

We know that medicines like setraline work on chemicals in the brain to lower HR and raise BP

and we also know that all the chemicals do have different affects on each other

Did he mention treatment options? Sounds like its worht a try!