Convulsion And Rigors With Stomach Flu

silvrwood

Monday I was at work and had just finished lunch when my energy plumetted and I felt weak. This happens to me a lot about that time for weeks at a time, so I thought it was the same thing and just tried to persevere like usual. But I found myself sitting at my desk unable to concentrate, then too weak to hold up my head. I suddenly got fiendishly hot and was drenched, but couldn't pull off my blazer. I sat there with my head down for 15+ minutes waiting for someone to come close enough for me to call for help in the loudest voice I could achieve, which was naught but a whisper. When someone did come over finally, I began vomitting. Once the vomitting finished, I began convulsing. My boss called an ambulance.

By the time they got there, my temperature was decreasing, and I was feeling better. My BP was about 102/60, and my heart rate in the mid 80's (usually in the low 60's).

I went to the hospital where I went through several more cycles of vomitting and rigors (not convulsions after the first round.) I was diagnosed with stomach flu, rigors, dehydration; medicated and released. When they took my temperature there, it was 97.4 F.

My sons also had the stomach flu with vomitting- one two days before, and one a few hours after I did. Neither of them convulsed or had rigors.

Is it symptomatic of dysautonomia that my body would react to the infection that way? Perhaps the poor regulation of temperature causing it to peak high, then soar low, resulting in the convulsions and rigors?

Rigors are a "normal" reaction to a high temperature and can happen in anyone.

Young children are particularly susceptible to "febrile convulsions" - a seizure due to high fever. Basically everyone has the potential to have seizures / convulsions but we have a seizure threshold that means most people don't actually have seizures. Many things such as acute illness and fever can lower your seizure threshold making it more likely that you would have a convulsion.

This is probably all due to the stomach flu so I wouldn't worry about it too much. Take care and get plenty of rest and fluids.

Hope you feel better soon,

Flop

I think it's possible they are related to dysautonomia. Specifically the combination of fever (high temperature inside as well as outside the body can cause vasodialtion) and dehydration from vomiting could lead to it in someone with a pre-existing autonomic condition.

I'm a little biased in this explanation however because I convulse at the drop of a pin. No doctor was ever able to offer me an explanation so through much trial and error I eventually reasoned that anything causing a sudden and precipitous drop in blood pressure could cause convulsions in someone with dysautonomia.

Any infection, bacterial or viral, even the slightest abnormality in my body will cause a convulsion for me. My vagus nerve seems to be the culprit much of the time. It is not regulated properly and is hyper sensitive to changes in my body. New meds, my periods, flu shots,...can all cause a convulsive reaction. I've had rigors with high fevers or with problems with my temp. regulation. If I get too cold and can't seem to get warmed up quick enough, my body may have rigors or convulsions. Unfortunately for me because of my vagus nerve I also convulse sometimes after a bowel movement or during eating. (a rare autonomic condition called swallow syncope [deglutition syncope] and micturition syncope)--not sure I spelled that right.

So, yes, more than likely your convulsion was from the flu.

Smiles

Thanks! It just scared me and everyone at work, and I was surprised my kids didn't have convulsions.

I do have to say I get rigors when I feel a confrontation (which includes any doctor's visit for me). But perhaps that's not the right word since it's because I tense up so bad I start shaking all over.