Lamictal

smiles

Am in the hosp. for vagal nerve flare ups which take IV ativan to control. They want to start me on Lamictal to help calm the vagal nerve. It uses a form of GABA which I am already on and has helped me in the past with seizure like episodes. Anyone else on this?

Smiles

I had taken Lamictal ten years ago after a grand mal seizure i had at uni.At first i was given Depakine but it gave me migraines and then was on Lamictal.The latter didn't give me any severe symptom but it caused a rush which turned into acne.I stopped using it and then had to take very strong medication to treat acne.I was twenty years old then.Now they told me to start another antiepileptic drug called trileptal but i am too scared to start it because i am afraid of the side-effects.What type of seizures did you have?Where you conscious while they were happeninG?

gOOD LUCK:-)

Yes I am conscious. I can hear but go limp at first. Then as I come around some my speech is either gone or slurred or barely understandable. Then my face starts twitching. Then my hands or arms start to shake. Then it may move to a leg or the other arm. Only occasionally do they get whole body. GABA (amino acid and neurotransmitter from health food store) has helped alot. but is not working so well now. Mine are not epileptic but autonomic in origin. I've read about the rash issue as a side effect. Hopefully I wont have that probl. but I will be on the look out for it.

What kind of seizures do you have?

The first seizure i had i don't even remember.I was doing a presentation at the university lecture theatre.Next thing i remember was the paramedic nurses over my head.I was later told that i dropped on the floor,had convulsions all over my body and turned blue.Then i was asleep for a few minutes and woke up when the paramedic came to take me to the hospital.I had a similar episode six months later which was again in a big theatre with lots of people.After that i didn't have any problem for ten years.Now i don't even realise that i am having a seizure.I am always conscious,i have no convulsions and it feel like a panic attack rather than a seizure.It starts with shortness of breath,icy cold hands and feet,numbness in fingers,toes and sometimes head,feeling of fainting,palpitations.Before it stops i sometimes feel lightheaded,get a tremor,unable to concentrate or talk.I feel frustrated and sometimes i cry.Then i am exhausted and have a headache.The doctor mentioned autonomic seizures but he also said that it may be partial epilepsy.They are not sure.The only thing that made them realise i need meds is the eeg which was not very normal.

• 4 weeks later...

'The lamictal is working! Praise God. My convulsive activity is down to just a few minor facial twitches and my left hand curls with muscle contractions. I just went up 25 mgs and that should stop it altogether. Just wanted to update anyone who may be interested. It does calm that darn vagus nerve. No side effects except slight taste in my mouth after i take it and it slows my colon slightly.

Smiles