loneliness

Star382000

I've been reading and trying to find information about this but I figure the best place is to ask all of you! Im trying to see if feeling lonely even though you know you're not alone and just feeling so lonely is something associated with POTS. I'm starting to get really concerned about my mental health (I've been told to watch it and not be a hypocondriac but I'm seriously scared) and I just wanted to know if feeling isolated and lonely and helpless and just breaking down and crying and all with no specific reason, I mean even if people are talking to you and feeling social and having a pretty good day..I don't know I'm just really out if it right now but had to ask..thanks and sorry for being so discombobulated or whatever..yeah :huh:

Guest tearose

Hi kate, I was just about to put my head on my pillow when I saw your post. Forgive me for being brief but I just wanted to give some feedback in case you are awake for awhile yet.

First, don't worry about what you are feeling, just feel it. If right in this moment you are discombobulated, than be discombobulated the best you can be! When you are ready to move on, try to figure out what makes you feel happy, what makes you feel sad. You can be very happy and be surrounded by people! You can be alone and be very happy too! Thats your homework for tonight. Then try to get some sleep. I'll write more tomorrow.

And yes, pots can make you feel moody, so can hormones, so can what you ate today, so can mental illness...let go of this for now if you can. Let go of your concerns, of labels, let go and just find a deep breath and inhale and exhale and find some peace, for now if you can. When you get good at letting things go, you may find that what concerned you tonight looks quite manageable tomorrow. Wishing you peace and sending you warm fuzzies, tearose

Guest tearose

Mornin' Kate! I'm doing my coffee and trying to count my energy points for my day. I see a nap in my morning. I am sooo tired. Anyway, how are you?

One important thing I left unsaid last night is that if you can't get a handle on your emotions after a couple of days and then it seems a week or so has gone by and you still feel emotionally very lonely, isolated or in despair, you owe it to yourself to reach out and ask someone to help. You may need a hand, a hug, some therapy or...whatever...don't assume right away that you are mentally ill. Let time, testing and good doctors help you figure this out as a team.

Today, try to go to the other post on being lonely and see if any of those wonderful suggestions will work for you!

Keep your willingness to get stronger and you will! with oodles of warm fuzzies, tearose

What tearose said. Introspection is good. Letting go is wonderful.

But first you have to do the hard, hard work of figuring out what it is that is barring you from enjoying your life. Not easy, but people with POTS can do hard things. This is work that only you can do....no one else knows how you feel, no pill can take it away. Pills can blunt the symptoms, correct chemical imbalances and such but they do not heal. That is "brain work" for you. And once you've done it, you'll feel much better. A good counselor may be able to help you untangle it.

Kate--what you are feeling is normal, in my opinion, for anyone challenged as we are with illness. It doesn't mean you are mentally ill. I think it is very easy to feel isolated from others when you don't feel well--even if you are not so sick as to be housebound. In addition, you mentioned "hypochondria". People with dysautonomia have a lot of symptoms, many of which can come and go. Many of us have seen doctors who thought we were excessively anxious about "nothing". It is very normal to be concerned about yourself if you are experiencing alarming symptoms.

That said, if these feelings of sadness and lonliness become persistent and interfere with your day to day life, it would probably be helpful to see a counselor or a doctor who could evaluate you further. There is nothing wrong with needing help emotionally/psychologically to get through this. Counseling might help, or possibly an SSRI or other anti-depressant. There are also herbal remedies that you might look into with the guidance of a doctor.

BTW, I have to convert your photo into a jpg to put it on the DINET photos page. I will do that tomorrow (at work) and post it. Thanks for sending it! You look so pretty!

Take Care,

Katherine