Insomnia From Ibuprofen?

Guest tearose

Guest tearose

I rarely take meds, OTC or Rx because I often am sensitive, allergic or have reactions. One tylenol puts me to sleep.

So I overdid physical exertion today, (can't do the exercise thing like I hoped to) and then had such bad muscle pains that I decided to take Ibuprofen. BIG MISTAKE. I took 400mg at about 10:30pm and feel like I am now in high gear! I can't sleep, can't get comfortable and feel like I am wired!!!!

In desperation, I finally got out of bed and took two tylenol, I am hoping it will knock me out...

Why does this happen? Are my muscle fibers revolting to the "relaxing" effect of the drug? I wish I wasn't so challenged...I just want no pain and to sleep!

oh dear, I feel a good cry is needed...

I am too exhausted to even do that.

sigh,

tearose

Hi there.

If its any comfort, had a rotten night myself. You ever try sleep meds? My doc gave me some this week becuase I was so exhausted. They give me a couple of hours sleep but am concerned about the effects it may have on my condition.

When I lie down, Even with head raised I feel sick and start to get really shaky all over. Pity we are on such different time zones or we could have a good cry together during the night! Doing lots of it this morn and shall dedicate a tear to you!

Hope you feeling better today and you got some sort of sleep.

x

Guest tearose

Yeah, rama, we DO have strange reactions to drugs! I particularly would like your opinion on the muscle fiber relaxing aspect though. Come on, put your thinking cap on!!! I was truly over alert and antsy. What the heck in a muscle relaxant causes that?

JanetM, thank you for your compassion, and I hope you didn't shed too many tears. If it weren't for the pain I wouldn't have even taken the ibuprofen because it also makes my lymphedema swell. I just needed to deal with the pain. I will reserve it for daytime use only now.

So I suppose your day is half over and I am just starting. Were you able to rest during the day?

I am so groggy but relieved I was able to get three hours of sleep. I will use only tylenol for pain at night now.

I hesitate ever taking a sleep med...I did take two tylenol and in twenty minutes I did manage to go to sleep. It took me five hours and two tylenol to counteract the ibuprofen.

I think if I went several days without adequate sleep I would have to do something. For today, I will have to take more naps!

thanks earlybirds!

tearose

I'm sorry you're having these med problems and sleep is seeming to elude you. I guess a lot of us here have sleep issues - boo! Have you ever tried taking a Tylenol PM before you go to sleep? It's a good pain reliever and gently helps you fall asleep. I take Trazodone to help me sleep, or I'd be a walking zombie.

Take care,

Jana

Had a good old cry this morn for all the worlds wrongs!

Children finished school at noon today for christmas holidays but my mother in law here with me so Lay down for an hour. Didnt sleep but feel bit better from it.

Still house bound and pretty much sofa bound! But happy having my excited children around me. We still have santa cluas so you can imagine the excitement.

Tylenol is not available in Ireland. I think it was taken off the market!

Hope your day is going well and glad you got some rest.

x

Guest tearose

I hear you Erik but trust me, it was the ibuprofen that made me loopy!

I am sticking to tylenol and a heating pad for now. Napping too!

Thank you all for the support!

I'm dealing with this better now, let's see how tonight goes... :rolleyes: I may just sleep on the floor with my electric blanket.

Int J Clin Pharmacol Ther. 2008 Feb;46(2):55-63.

Rapidly dissolving formulations for quick absorption during pain episodes: ibuprofen.

Jamali F, Aghazadeh-Habashi A.

Faculty of Pharmacy and Pharmaceutical Sciences, University of Alberta, Edmonton, Alberta, Canada. fjamali@pharmacy.ualberta.ca

OBJECTIVE: Pain or its associated trauma impairs oral absorption of drugs due, perhaps, to a diminished disintegration and dissolution rate secondary to suppression of the vagal nervous system. We first examined whether ibuprofen absorption is impaired on suppressing vagus nerve activity in a rat model. Secondly, we examined if ibuprofen absorption in rats during vagal suppression and in humans experiencing dental pain is improved by enhancing disintegration and dissolution rate of the administered formulation. METHODS: Vagal suppression was achieved in rats by administering 20 mg/kg propantheline i.p. 2 h and 1 h before gastric gavage of 20 mg/kg ibuprofen as small crushed pieces of a regular release and a fast-dissolving ibuprofen caplets. In humans, after surgical removal of wisdom teeth and emergence of pain, 2 A 200 mg ibuprofen as regular released (n = 14) and fast-dissolving (n = 12) caplets were administered. Serial blood sample were collected for bioavailability studies. RESULTS: Vagal suppression resulted in significantly decreased absorption rate of ibuprofen enantiomers following administration of the regular release but not after fast-dissolving formulation. Human dental pain was associated with significantly slower absorption of ibuprofen enantiomers from the regular released as compared with the fast-dissolving caplets. Within the first hour post-dose the area under the plasma drug concentration-time curve was raised to 2.7-fold (p < 0.05) after the fast-dissolving as compared with the regular release formulations. There was a 1-h difference in the peak concentration time (tmax) between the two caplets. CONCLUSION: Impaired drug absorption appears to be due to slow disintegration and dissolution encountered during pain episodes.

PMID: 18218285

Perhaps the post exercise pain and catecholamine response impaired your absorption of your meds and caused them to change in effectiveness? Ibuprofen is particularly hard on the kidneys, so anything that is cleared by them (even excess metabolites caused by exercise) will remain in your system longer than normal if you take the ibuprofen. Tylenol is cleared by the liver, so the effects will not be the same.

Physiol Behav. 1996 Jan;59(1):133-9.

Nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs alter body temperature and suppress melatonin in humans.

Murphy PJ, Myers BL, Badia P.

Bowling Green State University, OH 43403, USA. pjmurphy@med.cornell.edu

Nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs) inhibit prostaglandin synthesis in humans. Prostaglandins are involved in thermoregulation, melatonin synthesis, and sleep. To determine effects of NSAIDs on body temperature (BT) and melatonin synthesis (MT) in humans, and to elucidate mechanisms by which NSAIDs may alter sleep patterns, a series of experiments using the NSAIDs aspirin and ibuprofen was conducted. Seventy-five subjects were tested under several experimental protocols. BT after NSAID or placebo was assessed in both between- and within-subjects designs at night and during the day. MT levels were assessed after NSAID or placebo at night in a within-subjects design. The normal nocturnal BT decrease was attenuated and MT was suppressed after NSAID relative to after placebo administration. Lower MT levels were associated with a relative flattening of BT. Daytime BT was not affected by NSAIDs. These results are compatible with the hypothesis that some of the behavioral changes associated with NSAIDs, including changes in sleep, are due to changes in BT and MT. We speculate that NSAID effects on sleep and BT are related to prostaglandin synthesis inhibition and/or suppression of MT.

PMID: 8848472

Edited by firewatcher

Physiol Behav. 1996 Jan;59(1):133-9.

Nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs alter body temperature and suppress melatonin in humans.

Murphy PJ, Myers BL, Badia P.

Bowling Green State University, OH 43403, USA. pjmurphy@med.cornell.edu

Nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs) inhibit prostaglandin synthesis in humans. Prostaglandins are involved in thermoregulation, melatonin synthesis, and sleep. To determine effects of NSAIDs on body temperature (BT) and melatonin synthesis (MT) in humans, and to elucidate mechanisms by which NSAIDs may alter sleep patterns, a series of experiments using the NSAIDs aspirin and ibuprofen was conducted. Seventy-five subjects were tested under several experimental protocols. BT after NSAID or placebo was assessed in both between- and within-subjects designs at night and during the day. MT levels were assessed after NSAID or placebo at night in a within-subjects design. The normal nocturnal BT decrease was attenuated and MT was suppressed after NSAID relative to after placebo administration. Lower MT levels were associated with a relative flattening of BT. Daytime BT was not affected by NSAIDs. These results are compatible with the hypothesis that some of the behavioral changes associated with NSAIDs, including changes in sleep, are due to changes in BT and MT. We speculate that NSAID effects on sleep and BT are related to prostaglandin synthesis inhibition and/or suppression of MT.

PMID: 8848472

This might explain it.

Guest tearose

Oh firewatcher! You discovered the missing link! I think you are right on!

I am telling you, I was not able to sleep!!! I bet it did interfere in the MT synthesis!

Have I told you lately how much I appreciate you? Thank you for researching and finding this information!!!

I will print it now!

appreciation and hugs,

tearose