Metoclopramide Anyone!

anna

My sons GP has just prescribed this med to help reduce sons morning vomiting etc. was on Erythromycin(sp?) but Dr. does not want son building up antibiotic resistance. So have any of you good folk used this?

My son tried this under the name of Reglan. It didn't help. He currently takes the Erythrocin. He started taking this in November for gastroparesis. He is still nauseated though.

Reglan is really a bad drug with some serious potential side effects. Please research this and talk again to your son's gastro. My son's gastro suggested this as well, and when I said no, he agreed that it had potential problems (so why did he suggest it in the first place? Jeez!). Then he prescribed Domperidone, which helped enormously.

I'm with Lenna on this one. BAD drug- stay away. If you pay attention, lawyers on TV are looking for patients (teens esp.) who were prescribed this for a class action law suit. It passes the blood/brain barrier and has some potentially permanent neurological side effects. I wasn't as informed, nor as persistant as I should have been. My son was on it for 5-6 months. The side effects were awful. He couldn't sit still and developed anxiety. His GI insisted he stay on it. I finally said: "Before we try anti-anxiety meds, I want him off NOW and I want him started on erythromycin." He finally agreed. When we got in, Johns Hopkins backed up that decision- big time. I've been told that the dose that they take of erythromycin is so small it doesn't really have an antibiotic effect. It simply irritates the stomache into emptying more quickly. "E" is considered to be quite safe long term.

My son now has a tremor in his hand that he insists is a remant of the Reglan (different name for the same drug.) He recently asked if he could pursue being a part of the lawsuit :blink:

Julie

I was concerned about this med as it says not to be given to under 15's son is 15 in April but he is a thin thing does not weigh the amount he should be,to be given 10mg 3 times a day for a month to try and see how he gets on!

GP prescribed this med, but it was a very nice locum GP that picked up on the possible gut transit problems and put son on Erythrimicine, but our own GP would not re prescribe this, said did not want resistant bugs etc. Son has had bad GI problems for a few years now he did go to see a gastroenterologist about a year ago, who did give my son some Domperidone and said he could try it if he wanted to!! but in same breath told us he was sure son's problems were down to stress and that he could not find any reason for my sons sever epigastric pain etc. after some blood and stool tests done, and told us that many children have stress related gut issues. So we did not use this med, but now I am thinking should we try this as we have it at home anyway! Or may be I should contact the gastro. guy and ask about using the Domperidone given the light of the 'new' diagnosis!!

Anna

I used Reglan for while while PG! When I found out all the side offects, I was terrified. I took it everyday for about 6 months before eating, and while I did not get any of the harmful side effects that can happen, the drug did nothing for me. I really would talk to hs doc and see about getting something else. He should listen to you if you tell him that as a parent you just are nor comfertable giving him that drug. Good Luck

~Kelli

Ah! I am really nervous now, I've been on metoclopramide for over a year now. Taking it almost everyday with fioricet. For severe migranes that would happen every afternoon like clock work that would induce nausea and vomiting that would send me to the hospital. I have an appointment with my doctor soon, definitely going to be questioning whether I should be taking this medicine.

Thanks for the info guys!