Depo Provera

KristinL

I have been taking Depo Provera injections for birth control for about 15 years now. I have had no side effects from the injections during this time.

I should back up a bit. I was diagnosed with POTS at the end of 2006 (post-viral). I went back to work at the end of 2008 (part-time). I was doing well. I had a complete relapse at the end of August, 2009 and have been down for the count ever since...ugh!

My question is: does anyone see a decrease in symptoms right after getting their Depo injection?

I can't say I ever really noticed a marked difference but the last couple of times I have got the injection my symptoms have decreased markedly.

Oh... I am 40 years old and I am wondering how much hormones play a part in POTS.

Thanks for any thoughts or wise advice you can pass along :)

Kristin

Funny you should mention this this morning as I was just researching the "net" about progesterone. I have about 1-2 periods a year, and the week before my period, I get BAD upper stomach bloating. I've had a scope for celiac and h.pylori, waiting on biopies. These would both explain bloating in general, but NOT the worse bloating I get before my period. I had an ovary removed 10 years ago because of a bad looking cyst that, on pathology, turned out to be a corpus luteum. I also have had an ovarian cyst for a few years on my remaining ovary, which I assume is also a corpus luteum.

In nursing school, we learned that the corpus luteum puts out progesterone to sustain a pregnancy until the placenta can produce its own. So, even though the doctors tell me my simple cyst is nothing to worry about(I don't worry about it!), I wonder how much hormone it might be putting out! I know progesterone is the "relaxing" hormone, so that would probably explain my lazy gi system. But, I was wondering what other effects it has on the body besides female issues. I was reading it plugs into the same receptors as aldosterone, so maybe there is a connection there.

I tried bio-identical hormones twice before, and just lose any bit of energy I might have had. They also seem to make me more bloated, but not sure which hormone is doing that.

I hope more people chime in on their hormone experiences.