Vitamin D Deficiency - Study Results

goldicedance

Thought you might find is interesting:

New recommendations on vitamin D

At the University of Toronto School of Medicine's "Diagnosis and Treatment of Vitamin D Deficiency" conference on November 3, 2009, thirty of the world's leading researchers on vitamin D recommended 2,000 IU of vitamin D daily (the current recommendation is 600 IU). Vitamin D3 blood levels should be 100-150 nmol/L (40-60 ng/ml); the existing recommendation is 30-50 nmol/L.

Vitamin D pioneer Dr. Cedric Garland presented data showing that raising vitamin D levels to 200 nmol/L decreased breast cancer risk more than 77 percent. He said: "Breast cancer is a disease so directly related to vitamin D deficiency that a woman's risk of contracting the disease can be virtually eradicated by elevating her vitamin D status to near that level." Recent work has shown that all cells in the body have "vitamin D receptors" to control normal cell growth. Garland presented new evidence that low vitamin D status compromises the integrity of calcium-based cellular bonding within tissues, which allows rogue cancer cells to spread more readily.

Vitamin D deficiency is associated with at least 24 cancers, diabetes, multiple sclerosis, heart disease, falls and fractures, psoriasis and many other health problems.

For some reason I have trouble taking vitamin D. It makes me feel fluish, and aggravates POTS symptoms.

My levels are -3-----yes that's right, this was the last reading I got. I'm not sure what to do. My PCP was more interested why mine was so very low like this. I did make a point to get out in the sun on cooler days, but it didn't make any difference, and ended up even lower in my levels of vitamin D3. however, my calcium levels are normal, so I'm not sure how I'm absorbing it. Bone density test at NIH was fine also. This was just done when I was at the EDS study at NIH in April 2008. The only thing found was some osteopenia in hips. Even though I have all kinds of spine problems, the bone density was good there. All spine instability is related to my EDS.

The cancer risk is especially scary, and my family history of cancer is scarier yet.

The ball just gets dropped with me all the time. I'm just getting tired.

I don't even want to hear about it anymore.

Maxine :0)

Hey Maxine,

Just curious as to how much you have tried to take? When I first had my test done the endo wanted me to take the 50,000iu pill and I was like no way am I starting with that!! I started on like 500 or 1000 cause I was terrified to take that much just in case I reacted! Isnt that how it is though...fearing a reaction from just about anything?

KC

Last time I checked, my level was 9, and I was supplementing =( I can't seem to keep Vit D in my system...

It goes up to the 20's after taking a month worth of 50,000UI though, but goes down again without it.

Btw, I've taken the 50,000UI multiple times, never does a thing to me. But that's just me. Sometimes it tends to help my constipation though lol which is good...

So maybe some of you you won't think I am a bad mom... I NEVER put sunscreen on my children unless they are a risk for sunburn- like we are at the beach or on a boat. I never wanted to put chemicals on them. If we are at the beach I do have them take a break from the sun mid day for a few hours. I also have them wear hats... but I have taken a lot a flack from people about my view on sunscreen.

How do we know that smearing all of that chemical on our skin won't cause cancer? My sister in law had melanoma on her upper thigh and she is NEVER in the sun!

I have been taking a vitamin d because I can't stay outside like I used to.

If anyone has a brand they like please share it!

When I had pityriasis rosea last spring, I read that one of the ways to reduce the duration and intensity of the rash (which takes over your entire core bit by bit!) was to get sun on your body. So I began taking little "sun baths" in the nude -- because the rash was in places the sun doesn't normally shine --LOL.

Even after the pityriasis rosea was gone, I realized that I felt better with as little as 10 minutes of early morning sun on my body. I am fortunate to live in a sunny climate .... and have a very private backyard. ;-)

I do believe it helps a wide range things.

I'm going to bring it up to Dr. Grubb next time I see him. I'm going to ask why I had such a bad reaction to the liquid vitamin D that COSTCO was demonstrating one day. I couldn't believe it. I was dizzy, losing my balance---and on the way home I felt like I could literally feel my blood running through my veins----(kind of like it does when I take a few sips of wine----but a lot worse).

My heart started to react by fluttering, then pounding. It was pretty bad, but thankfully it passed pretty quickly. We had my 5 year old granddaughter with us, and a perfectly fun time at COSTCO was ruined. I only last so long on me feet when out shopping, so I like to make the most of it. We love take out granddaughters to costco. When we took Kaela home, my son came out with little Mackenzie who is 2 years old, and all I could say to him was we had to get out of there and get hom asap. This is right about the time my heart started going crazy. I'm thinking why in the world would this happen from vitamin D????

Too weird.

Maxine :0)