Isoproterenol And Allergy Shot Questions

JennaC

Hey everyone! Thanks for being here to help. I've been reading article and search the forums, but I still have questions.

1. What is considered an exaggerated response to isoproterenol? My hr went from 100 to 130+ during the tilt and after 20 minutes I was given isoproterenol where my hr jumped to 160. I never passed out, but I definitely felt horrible and my hands turned purple!

2. Does anyone get allergy shots? Do your symptoms increase on those days. I'm also starting to have reactions at the injection site. We've already backed down on my maintenance dose a couple times.

--Jenna

Can't answer #1. sorry

#2: Yes, my symptoms are worse on my allergy shot(s) day because I cannot take a beta blocker at all that day. It would make an allergic reaction harder to treat because it blocks some of the effects of an epi-pen. I also get reactions at the injection site, sometimes very large reactions, sometimes systemic reactions (sniffling, sneezing, flushing, etc.) I have been attempting to up my dose for a year and cannot get past the first strength vial of serum without reacting. I think that mine has been reformulated at least six times. Are you taking anti-histamines (Allegra or Zyrtec) regularly as well as getting the shots?

firewatcher,

I am taking allegra and used to take allegraD, but the sudafed makes me a little too tachy. My dose just got lowered because I keep developing a hard swollen area a couple inches in diameter around the injection site. The cardiologist who diagnosed me just prescribed .05mg florinef.

--Jenna

Sorry, I can't answer #1 either.

When I was taking allergy shots, which I've cycled through twice now, they could never increase my dose from the initial one because I would have such a bad reaction. They would make me sit for 30 minutes to see if I'd react, then let me go home. I never reacted at the clinic, just at home, after I'd been there another half hour or so (this was when they'd tried to increase my dosage). Then I wouldn't be able to breathe well, and I'd have to be rushed down to the ER to get a shot of adrenaline. Yuck. Although I do think the shots helped, I haven't had them during the last 2 1/2 years I've had dysautonomia.

Best of luck,

Jana

Answer to question 1: ?????

Answer to question 2: Yes, I am more reactive now. I have been on allergy injections for 7 years. It is possible for a doctor to prescribe an additional "baby" dose of antihistamine the day of the injection to help you through. I did not stick with that because the additional antihistamine made me feel bad.

I will get a big red circle at the site, and I will be more fatigued. I try not to get the shot on a day that I need to do other things.

I like the results I get from having allergy injections. It helps me. I must add though, that I do not take beta blockers because of my allergy injection regimen, yet Firewatcher is saying she skips her dose on the injections day only? I never thought that was a possibility.

Answer to question 1: ?????

Answer to question 2: Yes, I am more reactive now. I have been on allergy injections for 7 years. It is possible for a doctor to prescribe an additional "baby" dose of antihistamine the day of the injection to help you through. I did not stick with that because the additional antihistamine made me feel bad.

I will get a big red circle at the site, and I will be more fatigued. I try not to get the shot on a day that I need to do other things.

I like the results I get from having allergy injections. It helps me. I must add though, that I do not take beta blockers because of my allergy injection regimen, yet Firewatcher is saying she skips her dose on the injections day only? I never thought that was a possibility.

I am only on 20mg of Propranolol ONCE a day. I'm so used to the tachycardia, I really only take it for the tremors so I can work. I can't take it past 4pm because of supine bradycardia, my HR already goes into the low 40's unmedicated, so my docs don't want me to have any BB effects if I am supine. The allergist, my GP and cardiologist all OK'd skipping that day's dose because I am so highly reactive to the shots. Like I said, I have an epi-pen for the shots!

If you are on a full BB regimen, I doubt that you could just skip your doses on the day of your shot.