Fibromyalgia & Dysautonomia

MamaTrain

Hello Everyone! As I'm sure many of you do it seems that I have everyone trying to figure out what the heck is wrong with me! The latest comes from my dear friend in Texas who is a medical librarian. She passed this onto me with a note saying found this interesting. Do with it what you will! You guys are the best...hope you're having the best day possible!

KC

MerckManual: http://www.merck.com/mmhe/print/sec06/ch09.../ch098666a.html

Curr Rheumatol Rep. 2008 Dec;10(6):463-6.

Staud R. Department of Medicine, University of Florida College of Medicine, PO Box 100221, D2-39, Gainesville, FL 32610, USA. staudr@ufl.edu

Autonomic dysfunction in fibromyalgia syndrome: postural orthostatic tachycardia. Although fibromyalgia (FM) syndrome is defined by chronic widespread pain and tenderness, additional symptoms, including disabling fatigue and dizziness, are often reported by patients with this chronic illness. Although nonrestorative sleep may play an important role for chronic fatigue in FM, other mechanisms, including dysfunction of the autonomic nervous system (ANS), need to be considered. Many important biological functions, such as heart rate, blood pressure, respirations, and bowel function, are tightly regulated by the ANS. However, dysfunction of the ANS is common in FM and often becomes quite apparent after positional changes from supine to upright. Although such positional changes sometimes result in syncope, they are more often associated with palpitations and dizziness. Head-up tilt table testing can be used to evaluate autonomic dysfunction and is frequently helpful for the work-up of FM complaints, including fatigue, dizziness, and palpitations. One of the most common events experienced by FM patients during tilt table testing is postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome, which is defined as a heart rate increase of more than 30 beats per minute after more than 3 minutes of standing upright.

PMID: 19007537 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

Orthostatic hypotension (postural hypotension)

http://www.mayoclinic.com/print/orthostati...mp;METHOD=print

I also have fibromyalgia. Diagnosed with it first because of insomnia and pain in shoulders and back, hip, and neck. The pots symptoms, tachy and extreme fatique came a few years later. I am currently being treated by an osteopathic dr. who describes many areas of tightness . Iwonder if this tightness and restrictions caused the pots symptoms if that makes sense. Article very interesting. Also have read I believe if on improves pots symptoms, fibromyalgia symptoms improve. Sorry for the typos. I think I am tired.

This could be a what came first the chicken or the egg subject! :unsure: My Mom was dx'd with Fibro-M about 15 years ago. I think I'm going to research this a bit more and consult my doctor on it since this has never come up! I am still going to try the nutritionist's program and see if that helps with digestion issues etc.

This topic has come up quite a bit here...and recently. try to do a search & see what you find. From what I've learned YES, YES, YES there is a strong correlation between fibromyalgia and dysautonomia and chronic fatigue syndrome. Orthostatic Intolerance seems to be a hallmark of both.

Julie

I have POTS, fibro, CFS, IBS and allergies.... I think they are all related. They all happened at the same time (maybe allergies first but I don't think so). When I am worse with one set of symptoms I have issues with another set!... Remember with these sydromes they are a "group of syptoms" . In my mind i have one thing wrong with me that caused all of these problems and the overlap is due to Dr.'s labels.

I spoke with mayo clinic today and was told that POTS,Fibro, and CFS often go together.- LUCKY US!