Ivig Treatment

bellajulz

I'm scheduled to do IVIG this next monday and Tuesday, it's basically a last resort to help me with my pots. Has anyone had any luck with this or offer any information,advice or experience with IVIG. Anything will help as I am a bit scared... Thanks in advance..

I'm scheduled to do IVIG this next monday and Tuesday, it's basically a last resort to help me with my pots. Has anyone had any luck with this or offer any information,advice or experience with IVIG. Anything will help as I am a bit scared... Thanks in advance..

Hey Bellajulz-

I have NOT done IVIG, but it has been recommended to me. Are you doing it for POTS exclusively? My allergist/immunologist has spoken to me about it because my IgG is so low- 500 (750-1,600 normal.) Apparently IgG plays an important role in immunity.

I have heard that it is best tolerated if given very slowly. It can cause headache, fatigue, and nausea. I am very nervous about it because it is comprised of donor blood and I fear that my body will reject it and go into anaphylaxis. I have MCAD. If you don't- I'm sure you will tolerate it just fine. Please let us know how it goes. I'll be sending good thought your way.

Julie

Hi, Macks Mom, My only diagnosis at this point is POTS, so the IVIG is a last resort at helping me function more normally. I was told my day would consist of 6-8 hrs of treatment for 2 days as outpatient then in my home after that for 2 days every month for 6 months of it and go from there. Thanks and good luck to you too!!!

AZ Girl, I had been meaning to update you on my doc visit with Dr. levine, he was very knowledgeable and after all my labs and cmg came back normal he ordered up the IVIG, he believes its worth a shot. He also got my insurance to approve the mayo clinic for autonomic workup, which had been previously denied. I will keep you posted on anything new. How are you?

I have been on IGG for over 2 years. I can say that initially it was difficult, but it helped stop the progression of my neuropathy. Hopefully, you won't have a hard time, but be prepared to need extra help after your IV just in case you have the fever or headahes. I am now on a sub Q form that I give myself 5x per week, and I don't have as many side effects.

I think many people who have a hard time give up on treatment. I remember that I almost did, but am thankful that my Doctor found a good alternative for me. I saw another woman who had worse side effects than I did( and there were not many) and she was so much better a year later. She did not even look the same.

Best of luck.

Bella -

I would love to try IVIG. I had this done many years ago for Guillain Barre. I don't function normally at all with my POTS. How many hours a day can you be up and functioning? When do they consider it worth it to try it? I have very little life. I just tried to clean my shower a little and am so ill...eI am in bed.

Thanks,

Erika

I do not really know much about the ivig, just that all my other tests came back negative as to why I have pots so my new nuero believes it's worth a try... other then that I dont have any other basis for it... I will post more after I have it...