24 Hour Monitor

I just went to my primary care today to get a referral for an MRI of my brain (several docs have suggested I get one). She asked if I had had or wanted to do a 24 hour monitor. I think it just monitors and records your heart rate for 24 hours. I told her what I knew my heart rate did and wasn't really concerned since us dysautonomics all have unusual pulses. Should I do the monitor or is it a waste of my time and hers?

Mine showed supine bradycardia (40's bpm), especially when sleeping. I was not on any meds at the time. After my neuro and GP saw the monitor results they stressed that I was NOT supposed to take my beta blockers at night. Apparently they wanted me to actually wake up the next morning! :P

Sometimes, it can point toward sleep apnea: if you go bradycardic then suddenly tachycardic for a few seconds it suggests an apnea event.

I would definitely have a monitor - you may never know what's going on unless you do. After it's done make sure you get your test results and go over them and ask questions if you have them. Just remember, the results are only for that particular day and if you're having a good day, you may need to have it redone if you think something else is going on.

I had a holter in July and found all kinds of weird things going on in my tired old ticker :o I also learned I need to relax when driving, I had a major VT episode driving home lol If I didn't have the results, not sure I would believe I was having over 54,000 pvc's daily :P

I would definitely do one if you have any question at all about your heart function. I was found to have pretty severe bradycardia and atrial fib, and ended up with a pacemaker.

Cheers,

Jana

I had one that turned out o.k. I hated doing the 24-hour b/p though. It inflated every hour while I was sleeping, thus waking me up every hour! The best thing I had done was last week--I had a sleeping pulse oximeter on. The tech picked it up at my house and called an hour later and asked why my doctor had ordered it. I told him not sure, that I get high b/p while standing, and short of breath when walking(pulmonary function tests a month earlier said I was just out of shape, but alright). He then said that I seriously dropped my O2 from 98% waking down to 86% for TWO HOURS while I slept. So, not just holding my breath for a minute or less. Just low O2. I asked if this was a problem, and he said YES. He called my internist, and by that night, someone brought O2 with a nasal cannula, like you wear in the hospital, to wear when I sleep, until I go back to my doctor this Wednesday. So, if they do it, ask for a simple O2 pulse ox with the holter monitor, as it might show something more impressive than the holter monitor. I assume I will have to go through a sleep study and then end up with a CPAP machine for sleeping.

Sue I had a sleep study done ugh! I was sure I didn't have sleep apnea, but tests showed I had moderate OSA and they wanted me to do a follow up with the mask.

When they put the masks on me, I went into vtach episodes that made me pass out. They said it wasn't from the air in the mask; probably anxiety :blink: ummm I don't think so - I've never had a problem with anxiety; but I know what went on in my body. They tried a few masks on, but didn't try the full one on so what I think happened is it stopped my air flow from the forced air in the mask. I couldn't breathe through my nose with the mask and as soon as I opened my mouth; wham - my heart started and I passed out. Now I'm leery to go back and even try a full mask, even though they said I need to.

Ive heard the cpap helps alot of patients and some members of my icd forum have none of the problems I did with it, so I'm probably just a weird case, but good luck on the test and if you can tolerate the mask it would certainly help.

I did a 24 hour monitor about 15 years ago and was diagnosed with sinus tachycardia. According to the cardiologist, my pulse would go to 160 without provocation. Now that I know about POTS, I'm wondering if there was indeed a provocation: STANDING!

Incidentally, I mentioned the sinus tach dx in my medical history when I saw a rheumatologist at the Cleveland Clinic last summer. The doctor then asked me if the tach episodes occur when I stand. I said yes, so she referred me for a tilt table test.

So, yes I would have the test (if insurance permits). Even 15 years later, I have the 24 hour monitor to thank for my diagnosis.

Debbie

P.S. I'm a statistician by profession, so MORE data is/are always better than less data!

I had a 24-hour holter monitor, and every time I stood up or lay down I wrote down the time. This way the cardiologist was able to see that I had no heart problems, just sinus tachycardia every time I stood up, and it would go back to normal when I would lie down. This was how he diagnosed POTS for me, even though he said he'd never heard of POTS before! So it was worth it for me, and insurance paid for it.