Has Anyone Taken Lyrica?

kayjay

Hello all- Just wanted to know if any of you have taken lyrica and if so what do you think of it. I hate to take a new med but I really trust my dr and he is convinced that I need to try it.

He would like to change some of my other meds too but not right now. I have been dealing with the pain but I am hoping I wont have to sleep as much. Let me know what you think if you have taken this please! kari

I took Lyrica for a while. It helped a lot with the burning/pins and needles sensation in my feet. I couldn't continue the med because of side effects (constipation), but if it weren't for that I would have continued the medication.

There have been discussions about Lyrica in the past. You may want to try a search to find out more information.

Rachel

I hated it. It helped with the pain, but made me feel like I was tripping on drugs. It also caused heavy water retention in my feet and face, and at least ten lbs weight gain in the first week! I don't recommend it at all.

I am wondering if any of you have taken it with no ill effects.

I don't need anymore chub- I was thin before I was on meds. Now I am "normal" chubby would make me nuts!

Also the side effects say that it makes you sleepy. I want to take it to have more energy!!!! I sleep so much and really can only do one thing a day. Has this drug increased anyone's energy level?

As always THANK YOU!

I don't need anymore chub- I was thin before I was on meds. Now I am "normal" chubby would make me nuts!

Also the side effects say that it makes you sleepy. I want to take it to have more energy!!!! I sleep so much and really can only do one thing a day. Has this drug increased anyone's energy level?

As always THANK YOU!

Lyrica worked wonders for me. It did nothing for my pain, which turned out not to be neuropathic pain, but it really decreases my sensitivity to light and noise which is otherwise intolerable for me. Inexplicably, it also does great things for my nausea. Without it, I ended up in the hospital with uncontrollable vomiting.

I didn't gain any weight on it and I didn't find it made me sleepy at all. I hesitated to respond at first though, because my reaction is so atypical.

Hi Kari,

I took lyrica for a week (and it was before the dysautonomia). I started on a small dose and took it at bedtime. I didn't wake till 8 the next day and was in a stupor the entire day. I continued with it for a week, going with a lower dose. It started giving me awful palpitations, but you might not experience this since you are on a beta blocker.

I never gained an ounce on it.

Give it a try. For me it didn't do anything for the fibro but everyone is different.

Rene

As always THANK YOU!

Lyrica worked wonders for me. It did nothing for my pain, which turned out not to be neuropathic pain, but it really decreases my sensitivity to light and noise which is otherwise intolerable for me. Inexplicably, it also does great things for my nausea. Without it, I ended up in the hospital with uncontrollable vomiting.

I didn't gain any weight on it and I didn't find it made me sleepy at all. I hesitated to respond at first though, because my reaction is so atypical.

Thank you for giving me hope- do you mind telling me how much you took- what other drugs and what kind of POTS you have. I am on Klonopin, lexapro, a beta blocker and birth control pills. If lyrica works well for me I might be able to cut back on some of the other meds. THANKS SO MUCH!- karri

I took a dinky dose for about two years. I tried it to reduce the pain from interstitial cystitis. It didn't do anything for that, but it was my miracle drug for anxiety. Later, I found out that it's approved in Europe for generalized anxiety disorder.

I eventually quit taking it because when I found out that I had POTS, and I wasn't crazy, I wasn't so anxious anymore. <_<

I don't think it caused weight gain, but Paxil does, and I'm on that.

Amy

Thank you for giving me hope- do you mind telling me how much you took- what other drugs and what kind of POTS you have. I am on Klonopin, lexapro, a beta blocker and birth control pills. If lyrica works well for me I might be able to cut back on some of the other meds. THANKS SO MUCH!- karri

I take 150mg twice a day, so 300mg. I also take Metoprolol, Florinef, Vitamin D and Ultram and Voltaren as needed. My POTS is secondary to hypermobility syndrome and became much worse after a bad virus. It's funny, but I can't even really explain why Lyrica works for me the way it does, but it works so well I can't think of a single side effect.

-Yvette

In a sense I had more energy on Lyrica because it so effectively relieved my burning pain as well as the aching that I've had for so long. Pain can be so tiresome! But I quit it because of the severe constipation. I also gained 6 pounds during the 10 days I took it.

AND when I weaned off of the drug, I had a bad rebound of pain and other dysautonomic issues that lasted about a week. It does make you feel foggy too. And it's very expensive.

I'm going to go back on neurontin, which I quit because it also causes constipation in my case. But my GI doc said that is no reason to not take it as she is convinced she can alleviate that side effect. Neurontin wasn't quite as effective as lyrica for relieving my pain, but I was also on a low dose (900mg a day). This time, my neuro is going to start me at 1800mg a day. I felt a bit foggy on neurontin but not as much as I was on Lyrica. Also, no weight gain with neurontin!

For either neurontin or lyrica, you have to wean onto the drug and you can't quit it suddenly.

Thank you all

I started it last night just 50mg 2 times a day. I do worry about starting new meds. One nice thing for me is that I could use a little constipation in my life. I have the opposite problem now.... I am hopeful that this drug will help.. but I am really going to watch what I eat.

I do know this.... sleeping is fattening!! My hubby and parents get mad at me that I even care -- i know they are right. It would be great to be fat but healthy... fat and unhealthy is just even more unfair!!

Can lyrica give you headaches?