For Those Of You That Went To Mayo(rochester,mn)

2manyfurkids

Hi,

I am on the waiting list for Mayo(MN)for the neurology dept. Last week I was diagnosed with gastroparesis. They said the waiting list is 6-12 months.

How did everybody that has been to Mayo get in, did you get a referral from your doctor and how long before you got an appt? Do you have any suggestions how I could get in sooner? My endo that referred me is "done with me" I think and gets her "assistant" to call me back. Karen

Karen, I waited 3 months. My cardio- sent a letter to one of the Pots dr. I also called and nagged. Don't know if it helped. I didn't think I could wait. But it was absolutely worth it. If you have a long wait you can get your local dr. to give you meds to stablize you and then wean off them before you go. Good luck.. I hope you go.

I saw 3 neighborhood docs who were clueless and then I said enough's enough and we drove there without an appointment. I waited one afternoon to see the triage nurse and saw her the next day. The wait just to see the triage nurse is usually several days and it could be a week or two to see a doctor (at least when I went 4 years ago). Bring a pillow - everyone sleeps in the lobby. I was a little anxious to see the nurse and my pulse was about 130 sitting which was a "good" thing because she sent me to the ER. That got me in to see a GP at the clinic a few days later. The wait isn't as long in the winter - the snowbirds don't make appointments then.

I got a referral from my neurologist to see the subspeciality group for ANS at Rochester. I also requested to see Dr. Brent Goodman - don't worry, making an appointment with one doctor will still get you into the 'team' approach network. I waited about one month, and we went in early March. If you go, you're going to love the underground network of tunnels that gets you around, especially if you go when it's cold out, like we did. We stayed in a hotel connected to the main building. Very nice.

Cheers,

Jana

I also went to Mayo Rochester in winter, this past January actually. I waited just less than 3 months. My neuro (who wrote my referral letter) said that if we requested to see Dr. Low specifically that I might have a longer wait, so he just requested for me to see the autonomic neuro dept. He told me to expect to wait about 6 weeks after he sent my application to Mayo before we'd hear back from them. They called me the next morning. They said that after reading his letter, my symptoms were very specific for dysautonomia and they knew they could help.

Thank you for all your responses. My endo got me into a nearby teaching hospital neurology dept with one of the docs listed on the DINET list. The appt isn't until mid-Dec but at least it is sooner than Mayo. I will keep my appt with mayo and just wait. Maybe after seeing local doc he can get me into Mayo sooner. Seems like just showing up at Mayo I might have to wait a few days and with kids and lots of animals I can't really do that. Thanks again, Karen.