Does Anyone Take Propranolol - Teva Brand? Any Big Differences With The Generics?

iheartcats

Hey Everyone -

My Propranolol Beta Blocker has been a big help. It's the generic of Inderal and I was on "Nort" brand since January with no real issues.

My local pharmacy (and now mail-in pharmacy which I'm switching to as it saves me money) only carry "Teva." I tried searching about this online, but just got the list of the few manufacturers that make Propranolol.

I know it's a very common drug, so I am hoping this change in generic isn't too drastic on my system. My EP said when I had another generic switch, he preferred I got it at 3-month supplies as at least I'd have the same thing in my system for three months.

Is anyone using the Teva brand? Has anyone noticed a big difference in Propranolol generic?

I can't speak specifically for the brand you mentioned but I know with me, my pharmacy once switched my brand Toprol to the generic version. It didn't control my symptoms AT ALL and I had a severe hive reaction. I found out later that particular generic had caused many problems in people. My Dr. always writes "brand medically necessary" on my beta blockers because I'm so sensitive.

Good luck! I hate it when the pharmacy/insurance companies switch and we don't have a say in it!

Mine is so old "brand" isn't made (for the non-timed release version)...old as in a long-expired patent. Well I hope the generic works well enough! I guess the plus is I'm already on a generic so maybe another generic won't be so bad.

And I don't like timed-release drugs. They just don't ever seem to work right for me. I like being able to adjust the dose with the standard pills.

I know some people are allergic to meds because of fillers (like your hives, maybe?). Maybe I can find out the fillers just to be safe!